Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ian Tyndall
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
Tennis Court for STR

Ian Tyndall
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Posted May 27 2022, 06:27

I am buying a property that has a regulation Tennis Court on it 120'x60'. I thought that this would be a great feature in my STR. It is a older Court and needs some cracks repaired and a new net.

The cost surprised me: $22k to bring it back up to USTA regulations. I would consider a dura tile overlay but that is even more expensive. 

I might just power wash it and fill the cracks and not do the full treatment to get it to professional standards. Pickle ball seems to be more popular around here anyhow. I might look to modify the court in the future to become a dual pickle ball and basketball court as that might appeal to more families. Any thoughts on how to maximize the space?

User Stats

Votes
Chase Hoover
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Replied May 27 2022, 06:29

Pickleball gets my vote!  You can't find a tennis court in the trendy cities out west, they've all been converted to pickleball.  It's picking up steam out east now.  That would be a very nice amenity.  Whether I'd spend $20k on it, I don't know..... I think putting lipstick on the pig and turning it into a nice patio with cornhole, seating, etc. might be money better spent.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 27 2022, 06:41

I would just clean it up and fill the cracks.

Can they not play pickle ball on it too? Not sure what pickle ball is, like bad mitten?

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Ian Tyndall
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Replied May 27 2022, 06:55
Quote from @John Underwood:

I would just clean it up and fill the cracks.

Can they not play pickle ball on it too? Not sure what pickle ball is, like bad mitten?

Pickle ball is like tennis, but played with paddle tennis rackets and a whiffle ball. Lots of old people like me are into it. Looks like there are 5 million players now in the US. We have a city court and they are packed day and night. 

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied May 27 2022, 07:21

You could always leave it as it is and dangle the fact it could be converted as a basketball court. I think more people would be interested in the potential for a full-court basketball court (which is roughly 94 X 50). 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Smith
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 27 2022, 09:59

@Ian Tyndall I'm starting to see multifamily projects that have dual pickleball courts that can also be used for half court basketball. Maybe two pickleball courts is overkill for one STR, so maybe one pickleball court and cornhole/outdoor shuffleboard/etc with half court basketball.

I'm a basketball player myself, and I feel very few STR tenants would play full court basketball. You typically need at least 8 players in decent shape to get a good full court game going.

I agree with others, you don't need to spend 20k to bring up the court to USTA standards.  Tennis seems to be really dying out, at least in the northwest, compared to pickleball.  

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied May 28 2022, 15:43

Pickleball and half court hoops gets my vote, but I'm biased because I love pickleball and hoops.  I have rented at least 4 rentals now that had this pickleball/hoops combo.

The only benefit I could see to tennis is maybe if it's a luxury rental there would be a market there for higher end country club types that would dig a private tennis court.  But I don't know anyone that plays tennis anymore.

The sport court tiles were much cheaper than 21k when I priced them out for pickleball size at one of our places.  The really expensive part was going to be the concrete pad but you already have that part.

ETA: That was pre-covid though so maybe the price has gone up considerably now.

User Stats

Votes
Cliff H.
Pro Member
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Nashua, NH
Replied May 29 2022, 08:25

Agree with others. Tennis had its day and there’s a reason courts across the world are falling into disrepair. In fact the problem is so big the USTA will give you consultants to keep your court alive: https://www.usta.com/en/home/c...

I help run a small HOA with a couple tennis courts in poor shape. It's $50k just to tear them up, likely another $150k each to rebuild them. Far too much for the value they offer.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 29 2022, 09:22

Don't get rid of the tennis court in any way...simply mark it for a PB court inside the standard tennis court lines. Add a half court BBall, AND cornhole, and you have the best of all worlds.

Pickle ball is a huge fad lately, and is likely to stick around, but like other fads, it can also vanish in time. The short distance stops/starts can cause a lot of joint issues, esp with the old folks that play it....