I keep hearing an average of 7 days or less on podcasts, but when I search online, multiple sites state 30 days or less and I also looked at my city law and they consider short term as 30 days or less. So what really is it? What's a STR in your area? Fyi, I am in Virginia.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
It is generally considered to be less than 30 days. Usually weeks and weekend vacationers.
There is also the fact to consider that after 29 days (or less in some states), the guest now becomes a tenant and acquires tenant rights...which in states like CA/NY/NJ/Etc, can spell big trouble for the new landlord (the recent Host)
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
Short term rental timeframe is subjective. The whole idea is that the property is a place that people can come and not have to furnish or decorate, wether they stay 3 days or 9 months
Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes
4y
It comes down to your specific city and/or HOA (if you have one). In Raleigh, NC it is also 30 days. However, some cities and HOAs I have seen say 90 days. Generally speaking, I believe 30 days is a good benchmark.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
It is generally considered to be less than 30 days. Usually weeks and weekend vacationers.
There is also the fact to consider that after 29 days (or less in some states), the guest now becomes a tenant and acquires tenant rights...which in states like CA/NY/NJ/Etc, can spell big trouble for the new landlord (the recent Host)
Short-term and long-term are legal definitions. Short-term is less than 30 days; long-term is 30 days or more. A short-term rental has different laws than long-term, so it's important to understand them if you go that route.
Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
4y
As most have indicated, many states make a distinction at 30 days to provide tenant rights. If I recall, 7 days is a term in the tax code if you have an average rental duration you can be considered to operate a business (categorized like a hotel) as opposed to schedule E rental
Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 54 votes
4y
Short term is generally 30 days or less but honestly the source of truth is going to be whatever jurisdiction you're buying in. So unless you're planning to buy in the same place I am in, don't listen to me. Just Google short term rental regulations/law/ordinance + jurisdiction (state/city/county,etc)