• Ogden, UT
Votes |
STR Management Software

Pamela Burke
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ogden, UT
Posted Oct 4 2022, 06:42

I see this question periodically and the online reviews seem to change regularly. Guesty, Hostaway, IGMS, OwnerRez - and it seems like more are listed every day. I'm under contract for my first STR and need a program that will sync with booking sites and manage the calendar, communicate with the guests (auto responder) and my cleaners, and do this for a price that is reasonable. This is a remote location so the software will be critical for my success. I plan to grow my portfolio, but we're just getting started and need a platform that works for one and can grow with us. As I look at reviews I'm seeing some that are fantastic, but have a hefty price to get started, others that are difficult to work with. I'm interested in people choices and challenges with the software you've had experience with. All advice is welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Oct 4 2022, 07:47

There are over 120 of these things now. Just pick one and go. Not a huge deal to change later. 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Oct 4 2022, 07:53

Not sure you need this for one property. You could add later when it makes more sense.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joel Case
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Replied Oct 4 2022, 07:55

Hospitable sounds like it will fit the bill for you perfectly. It integrates with TurnoverBnB for your cleaners, integrates with Schlage Encode smart locks and automatically generates/cancels door codes, and has the auto reply, calendar sync you are looking for. I just started my STR journey and have been happy with Hospitable. I believe its $25 a month per property.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Oct 4 2022, 08:29

My vote is for Ownerrez. It’s really helped me scale. I’ve been learning as I go and there are Facebook support groups to further help. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Oct 4 2022, 08:49

I use a piece of poster board with 23 horizontal lines to manage my 23 STR properties. I also do my own welding, plumbing, roofing and electrical work.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Oct 4 2022, 12:02

I wouldn't use anything but the VRBO (or Airbnb) platform for just a few properties.  Overkill.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 13:33

What @John Underwood and @Collin H. said. For one property, just use the apps. Super easy to manage.

Personally I think it is a good idea to be manual for the first STR. It gets you more involved in the management. Helps you learn what works and how to communicate. Distancing yourself never lets you learn anything. :)

User Stats

Votes
Matt Mertz
  • Leander TX
Votes |
  • Leander TX
Replied Oct 4 2022, 14:00

I started with Hospitable and moved to OwnerRez when we decided we needed a direct booking site.  We only have 1 property.

I can say both are great.  If you're keeping it lite with no direct booking site, I'd recommend Hospitable.  It's very easy to use, great UI and includes Schlage Encode password automation for free.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get a direct booking site up with OwnerRez.  They have website templates, payment processing integration, rental agreement templates/signing/archiving.  It handles Vrbo payments, so you get the guest payment at time of booking.  They support credit card security holds for Airbnb.

My criticism of OwnerRez is that the messaging center is pretty confusing (compared to Hospitable); there's no free door lock automation (you need to integrate with another vendor like RemoteLock); and the initial setup is more involved than Hospitable.

User Stats

Votes
Juan C Osorio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 17:09

As some other have mentioned hospitable and Ownerrez (OR) are very good.  I used hospitable for some time and I liked it but I needed a PMS that could integrate with my locks, I use erentalocks because when I started my journey with STRs (I have 4) I was not sure about the internet in the area.  OR works very well and integrates perfectly with erentalocks, I do not have to send any more emails, the codes get attached to the guidebook, very helpful.  I will agree that hospitable has a very messaging system and it also synchs your calendars on Airbnb and VRBO very easily and the setup is rather easy.  If you are doing Airbnb and VRBO, I will recommend using a PMS, especially if you are hoping to grow.  

User Stats

Votes
Juan C Osorio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 17:10

Erentallocks do not need wifi or internet, they work very well for situations with the internet is not available.

User Stats

Votes
Pamela Burke
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:15

Thank you for the recommendation and price point

User Stats

Votes
Pamela Burke
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:16

I see a lot on OwnerRez. Thank you for the recommendation

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Pamela Burke
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:18

Great comparison - thank you

User Stats

Votes
Pamela Burke
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:20

Thank you - I appreciate the benefit comparison

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Escobar
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Oct 5 2022, 07:14

They all work and have their pros and cons - I would say do some free trials and go from there. I started with Guesty  and it has done very well for me. I did a free trial with Hospitable a few months ago - I liked it and it does have a cheaper price point than Guesty. I stuck with Guesty because I liked their shared calendar better for my cleaners and it didn't seem worth it for me to go through process of switching over to save a little money when I haven't had any issues. 

User Stats

Votes
Juan C Osorio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Pedro, CA
Replied Oct 13 2022, 10:32
Quote from @Pamela Burke:

Thank you for the recommendation and price point

You are welcome!!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Dec 8 2022, 18:43

Hey Pamela!

I would love to chat with you.  We run Airdream Vacation Rentals in addition to being investor friendly agents and have over 60 units in Northern Utah. We personally use IGMS and have found that it does a pretty good job for the cost. Hostfully is better but is usually more. 

Although those who commented above are correct that you can go without a management software, the software does help prevent against double bookings from Airbnb and VRBO. You can also create a lot of automated messages that send for you throughout the guests stay so its a lot more hands off. In my opinion the 10-20$ charge a month pays for itself in the time savings. 

If you had to choose between a management software and pricing software, I would go with the pricing software first though. 

if you have any questions about hosting or if any issues arise, don't hesitate to reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Kellen Dunn
  • Property Manager
  • Miami
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Miami
Replied May 19 2023, 14:35

Im Considering Hostaway for the 20 Properties I manage. Does anyone in a similar situation Cover the cost of Hostaway (or other pms) by charging the property owner for the expense? For example each Property on the platform is roughly 20-25 Dollars, does anyone charge each home owner 20$ Monthly to cover the hostaway (PMS) charge. Appreciate any advice or feedback! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied May 21 2023, 07:39
Quote from @Kellen Dunn:

Im Considering Hostaway for the 20 Properties I manage. Does anyone in a similar situation Cover the cost of Hostaway (or other pms) by charging the property owner for the expense? For example each Property on the platform is roughly 20-25 Dollars, does anyone charge each home owner 20$ Monthly to cover the hostaway (PMS) charge. Appreciate any advice or feedback! Thanks!

I sometimes do it but it depends what management percentage I'm getting. If its lower, I'll have an agreement for the owner to pay soem flat software fees.