Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mehul Patel
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Airbnb property analysis

Mehul Patel
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Dec 1 2022, 06:34

Total newbie here to Airbnb. How does one go about analyzing the numbers on a potential airbnb property? How do you estimate expenses for cleaning etc? how much potential income it will generate? are there any calculators you suggest?

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Dec 1 2022, 06:54

Use "The Enemy" method.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 07:07

@Mehul Patel, The Enemy Method: 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Dec 1 2022, 07:13
Enemy Method

User Stats

Votes
Jacob St. Martin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 09:04

Hello Mehul, I would second what the others have said but will also go into a little more detail: 

1. Is this even a market I want to be in? Is there STR demand here? Where is the STR demand coming from? Is the STR demand reliant on one industry or attraction?

2. Plug the address into airDNA rentalyzer. airDNA is by no means a super accurate tool but it will help you get a quick and dirty estimate of performance. If your annual pricnipal and interest payments alone are $80,000 and airDNA says you will only gross $50,000 it is so far off that it probably wont work even if you outperform your competitors. 

3. If it passes these tests and looks like it might be a decent deal now I start my more in depth analysis. I will plug the numbers into a spreadsheet that I use and do research to make sure the numbers I am using are accurate. Part of this is knowing what financing structure you plan to use as this will impact you expenses. I will evaluate the airDNA comps and other comps that I find personally on airBNB (airDNA doesn't always list them all) using the enemy method to see where I should fall amongst them and where I can outperform them. If all of the listings have terrible photography you immediately can outperform most of them. If you are the only one in the area with a hot tub or pool or amenity that is sought after you can outperform. This part is a little less scientific than the rest of the process but also the most important because it will help you to adjust your expectations based on your competitors.

4. If your detailed analysis shows that the property should do well it is time to move forward. You will need to move forward with your financing and start looking for the team members to make your airBNB successful like your cleaners, handyman, etc. 

I hope this was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions. I would also be willing to share my spreadsheet with you. I personally like it a lot but there are also people with more experience than me whose spreadsheets are available as well. Good luck in your STR search!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 13:00

I also like and use the enemy method. For your reference, read about it here.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 1 2022, 13:08

I really like awning as a favorite. Airdna is good for analyzing a market as well. Note airdna includes cleaning fees, awning does not.

awning will allow you to pick comps, estimate fees, etc and see the whole proforma inclusive of tax benefits

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Solomon
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 1 2022, 13:44

AirDNA + the enemy method is a great tactic! I would also reach out to local property managers in the areas that you are looking at, as well as reaching out to operators if you can get into contact with them!

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Dec 1 2022, 21:00

I just wrote a blog post about this topic. It’s here on Bigger Pockets under my agent profile.