User Stats

Votes
Wilfredo Torres
Votes |
LEGALITIES with STR in Orlando

Wilfredo Torres
Posted Feb 27 2023, 16:05

Hi all, 

Closing on my 1st STR this week. Minor cosmetic rehab. In the meantime I'm looking for resources or anyone who has directly navigated the registration and licensing process that comes with running a legal STR in Orlando.

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 27 2023, 17:10

I would contact the zoning department and ask for the requirements to obtain an STR permit.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Gibson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Feb 27 2023, 18:48
Quote from @Wilfredo Torres:

Hi all, 

Closing on my 1st STR this week. Minor cosmetic rehab. In the meantime I'm looking for resources or anyone who has directly navigated the registration and licensing process that comes with running a legal STR in Orlando.

Is your property in Orange county Florida or is it in Osceola Lake Polk or Seminole county? If your property is in the city of Orlando you can do str legally so long as you register with the city and you live in it full-time and you're not renting more than half of the total bedrooms. If you're an Osceola county or any of the other counties I previously mentioned you can rent out the whole home. Orange county does not allow whole home short-term rental. The only exception to this rule is if it is a condo hotel. 

GPG Team Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Colin Higgins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sanford Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sanford Florida
Replied Feb 28 2023, 06:24

Orlando is really crackin down :-(

User Stats

Votes
Paul Pratt
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 28 2023, 06:32

Yeah Orlando is cracking down. Highly suggest looking for areas just outside main metros. For example Daytona Beach has set areas for STRs, but a few surrounding towns have none at all. 

User Stats

Votes
Solomon Price
  • Central Florida
Votes |
  • Central Florida
Replied Feb 28 2023, 07:13

What county are you in? A lot of people say Orlando, but are really talking about one of the surrounding areas.

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Feb 28 2023, 09:18

Just to clear any confusion, a lot of folks refer to "Orlando" when they actually mean "the Disney area vacation rental market." Vacation rentals supporting Disney travel are typically in Osceola and Polk counties. Orlando proper is Orange County, where the restrictions are much tougher.

In Osceola and Polk, you will find a wide range of purpose-built vacation rental communities with resort amenities. In these communities, you don't have to worry about restrictions. Happy to send our map of recommended communities!

User Stats

Votes
Carson McGee
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 6 2023, 10:30

Contacting the county zoning should be the first step. Are you referring to Orlando or STR-friendly suburbs such as Kissimmee & Davenport? The regulations are going to change drastically based on that. My team owns and manages in the STR-designated communities, the regulations are pretty straightforward. I'm happy to provide more info or additional resources.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 10 2023, 15:18

@Wilfredo Torres with all due respect, it's kind of late to be looking in to this. The time to do that is before going under contract. I just did a quick search on Orlando's short term rental ordinance and if I'm interpreting it correctly, you might have some problems. It looks to me like it is not allowed in any residential R zoning district which is pretty restrictive. Some local governments have pretty Draconian restictions on STR's so it's best to do your research first. Hope it all works oout.

User Stats

Votes
Dom Radcliffe
  • Investor
  • Newton, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newton, MA
Replied Mar 12 2023, 04:33
Quote from @Wilfredo Torres:

Hi all, 

Send me a DM, I will walk you through it.