Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Kevin G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
Considering investing in STR properties in Kissimmee, FL or Tampa from California!

Kevin G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Posted Mar 7 2023, 01:50

Hello everyone!

I am very interested in investing in STRs in Kissimmee, FL or in LTRs in Tampa. I currently live in California and am wondering if it is feasible to invest so far out of state. How much would I realistically need to be "boots on the ground" to pull this off? I know out-of-state investing gets asked about a lot, but I would love to learn from people who are actually doing it in Florida.

I am considering Florida due to its lower barrier of entry for someone like me from California. I had originally thought of investing in the SoCal and San Diego markets, but the overall cash needed is too high.

For STRs, I have thought about Kissimmee due to its strong demand and close proximity to Disney World. My plan is to find a 4-bedroom single-family home with a pool or in a community that has a pool, which needs some moderate renovations to build some instant equity. Then, I would design it to have a nice Disney theme to attract guests. The hard part is being in California to make this happen.

Another option for me was to invest in the strong market of Tampa, FL for an LTR. I don't know much about the market, but from what I've gathered so far, homes have appreciated drastically and continue to appreciate. I'd look at either SFH or multi-family units in this area to rent out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Loading replies...