Do you decline a guest who has no reviews?

Do you decline a guest who has no reviews?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 4 votes

I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

Most guests have no reviews. I never even look. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
    3y

    its a hard call. everyone started with no reviews at some point. you could inquire as to purpose of their trip, etc and see if any warning bells go off. ive had a few guests stay with no reviews and no problems, but the law of averages says it will happen at some point

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I've had several 'no-review' guests and all were fine. I'd ask them a few questions and get a feel for their personality....

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Hong Zhu

    I have had guests with no reviews.  I usually ask the purpose of renting my unit.  I ask for what the ages are and relationships.  I have had some respond to friends who are all 21 and 22.  I have a requirement of 25.  I’m mostly looking for family guests and not party guests.  So far haven’t run into any major issues.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Most guests have no reviews. I never even look. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 131 posts · 135 votes
    3y

    It depends on how often you book and what the demand is in your area. For my cabin almost half of all bookings are guests with no reviews. Most of them have been fine. If I rejected everyone with no reviews my occupancy would go down a lot.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Never turned down a no review guest.

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 705 posts · 799 votes
    3y

    We have TONS of guests with no reviews. I don't see them being any worse than any other guests.

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 870 posts · 823 votes
    3y

    I wouldn't turn them down just because of the no reviews. As others have said here, I would start to ask questions like the purpose of staying here and their age. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hong Zhu:

    I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.

    The combination you might want to restrict or look more closely at are local people, booking for one night, last minute and are under 25. Seems to be a party in the making.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Most of mine have zero reviews, and they've all been fine.  None have been local, and I don't allow one night stays.

  • Rental Property Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 101 votes
    3y

    @Hong Zhu

    You are going to miss out on a lot of opportunity if you don't take no review guests. Many/most of ours are great. Ask a few questions if you're concerned. At the beginning, we would do everything we could to "make things right" with the little complaints. After tons of 5-star reviews, we don't bother with these nitpicky complaints any more. Our cleaner has proven herself and I trust her. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Good point, Mike. Definitely must have a 2 night minimum stay and a 1-2 day window to book (no last-minute bookings. This should cut way down on your problem guests....


  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    I accept them all the time 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hong Zhu:

    I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.


    It's your analytics that's wrong here.
    First there's a guest that has no review. Second there's a guest that complained the house was not clean.

    Second issue is not caused by the first problem. It has nothing to do with that.

    The root cause of that problem is ....... your house may be dirty.

    Can 6 star reviewer complaint that house was not clean ?
    of course, especially if they're superhost AND if your house is not clean.

    It's simple.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hong Zhu:

    I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.


    The entire review system is a farce. Hosts do anything to ensure a 5-star, to include lying about the guest just to coax a positive review out of them.

    Hotels don't look at reviews and they do just fine.

    The people you are talking about are the same ones that will eat most of a steak dinner, then demand a refund because it was under-cooked. You have to figure out how to deal with them or say goodbye to the income.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Hong Zhu:

    I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.


    It's your analytics that's wrong here.
    First there's a guest that has no review. Second there's a guest that complained the house was not clean.

    Second issue is not caused by the first problem. It has nothing to do with that.

    The root cause of that problem is ....... your house may be dirty.

    Can 6 star reviewer complaint that house was not clean ?
    of course, especially if they're superhost AND if your house is not clean.

    It's simple.
    I agree with the analysis of the concept of “no reviews” and “complaints of a not clean home” are not guaranteed related and oversimplifying. A person can complain about a house being dirty regardless of their reviews. It’s like saying if one guest complained about a dirty house and they were from a specific city…then don’t get renters from that city. 

    Also, some folks may not want to review their stay. They want to get it and go.

    However, to say the root cause of “therefore the house is dirty” is jumping to conclusions. Got to gather more info. That’s like saying 

    They could be exaggerating for the sake of discounts. It could have actually the guest’s hair that fell while they were looking. The cleaning lady may have had hair on her clothes from someone else’s house. Someone else may have been in there and you don’t know it.  May have been a simple 1-time poor cleaning job.
    Lot of potential causes.

    So I’d show the cleaning rep the pictures. If she says “absolutely not!”, say “thanks” and continue on. If this repeats, then find another cleaning person. Make a surprise visit between guests to see how it really looks after the cleaning.
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Todd Jones:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

    So I’d show the cleaning rep the pictures. If she says “absolutely not!”, say “thanks” and continue on. If this repeats, then find another cleaning person. Make a surprise visit between guests to see how it really looks after the cleaning.

    Yes, At the end of the day Airbnb is a hospitability service, so we just have to accept what the guest says.
    We also know that the whole feedback thing like @Nathan Gesner mentioned is almost bogus. 
    Everyone is also different, many guests doesn't like to leave a review, and some guests are very "clean freak", I used to have super hosts and critizes a lot my STR LOL, will I deny 5-star reviewer ? of course no. When I visited few Airbnb, some of the hosts are saying "Hey guest, we try to serve you, but this is not 5 star hotel okay". Sometimes we just have to accept a guest's comment and move on. There're some guests also, that are acting more than a home property inspection, it's just the nature of the business I guess LOL.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hong Zhu:

    I got bad experiences recently with guests who have no reviews. Both of them seem playing the same game. They complained that the house was not clean. For example, hairs in the bathroom, bedroom and even on the bed sheets. They sent me some pictures and asked for discounts. I know my cleaning lady for a long time and she is great. Should I just decline guests without any reviews? I really appreciate your suggestions.

    Similar to what other hosts have said, just be sure to ask questions like “what’s bringing you into the area?” and “Have you read and are comfortable with all house rules?” While it’s not full proof, some potentially “bad guests” would weed themselves out automatically for not wanting to answer those basics. I also require a picture ID of all adults prior to check in information being sent…..the combination of the above with no same-day bookings has pretty much eliminated guests that may have been up to something.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 287 posts · 152 votes
    3y

    @Hong Zhu not sure how much demand you’re getting but I personally always decline guests with no reviews. Fortunately I’m in a spot to be able to decline them and still get booked, but 99% of issues I’ve ever had with airbnb guests were from guests with no reviews who started issues on the property or had problematic stays almost every time like clock work. Since no longer accepting guests with no reviews I have dramatically cut down on the nonsense issues, just my 2 cents.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Hong Zhu, so do you have instant booking turned on? We have a 3 day minimum stay and I chat with each and every guest to see what they are like.

    That has kept us on the good side. We haven't had any really bad guests and we allow no review people all the time.

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Hong Zhu, so do you have instant booking turned on? We have a 3 day minimum stay and I chat with each and every guest to see what they are like.

    That has kept us on the good side. We haven't had any really bad guests and we allow no review people all the time.

    For those of you that say you chat with the guests to make sure you are comfortable what do you do/say if you do get a bad feeling from them?

    We just launched our first STR which is a small house in a quiet neighborhood near a large university. We've accepted a couple bookings already from guests that have good reviews. Our largest concern is respecting the neighbors and our most recent request came from someone that said he is coming in to town with two of his buddies for a college softball game. He has no reviews and just joined Airbnb. So far I asked him where he is coming from but have gotten no response from 12 hours ago.
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim Delaney:
    For those of you that say you chat with the guests to make sure you are comfortable what do you do/say if you do get a bad feeling from them?

    We just launched our first STR which is a small house in a quiet neighborhood near a large university. We've accepted a couple bookings already from guests that have good reviews. Our largest concern is respecting the neighbors and our most recent request came from someone that said he is coming in to town with two of his buddies for a college softball game. He has no reviews and just joined Airbnb. So far I asked him where he is coming from but have gotten no response from 12 hours ago.
    So it is just the words they use, how complete are the sentences, how quickly they reply etc.

    There are a number of things I look at. In the end it just my gut. If they have some reviews then I feel OK about it. If they have no reviews and just joined, I do ask a few other questions.

    Like, are you celebrating any special occasions? Have you been to the area before? That sort of thing.

    Have you been in contact with the neighbors? Do they have your contact info so they can call you if there is a problem?
  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:
    Quote from @Tim Delaney:
    For those of you that say you chat with the guests to make sure you are comfortable what do you do/say if you do get a bad feeling from them?

    We just launched our first STR which is a small house in a quiet neighborhood near a large university. We've accepted a couple bookings already from guests that have good reviews. Our largest concern is respecting the neighbors and our most recent request came from someone that said he is coming in to town with two of his buddies for a college softball game. He has no reviews and just joined Airbnb. So far I asked him where he is coming from but have gotten no response from 12 hours ago.
    So it is just the words they use, how complete are the sentences, how quickly they reply etc.

    There are a number of things I look at. In the end it just my gut. If they have some reviews then I feel OK about it. If they have no reviews and just joined, I do ask a few other questions.

    Like, are you celebrating any special occasions? Have you been to the area before? That sort of thing.

    Have you been in contact with the neighbors? Do they have your contact info so they can call you if there is a problem?

     Thanks for your input. Yes, we have spoken to the neighbors and they have my contact info. Being these would be some of our first guests I'm just a little more apprehensive about setting things off on the right note - I don't need the neighbors upset by the first guests.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Well @Tim Delaney, all you can do is roll the dice! No matter what you do or how they respond, you never know what will happen.

    It will get easier!

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I completely agree with @Michael Baum I prefer to have guests who have previous positive reviews, but I will accept first timers.  It is somewhat of a gut feeling.  I usually rent to families, but there are times where it’s a bunch of friends.  I also have the minimum of 25 years old.  So far so good.

    Best of Luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.