đź’¸ The Overlooked Wealth Engine in STRs: Accelerated Principal Paydown + Appreciation

đź’¸ The Overlooked Wealth Engine in STRs: Accelerated Principal Paydown + Appreciation

AJ WongBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 695 votes

Everyone loves to break down STR cash flow, tax loopholes, and regulation nightmares (been there). But one piece that's way under-discussed is the quiet wealth you build just by letting your guests pay your mortgage for you — and how that stacks up with long-term coastal appreciation.

We're in contract on a riverfront cottage here on the Oregon Coast with the game plan to allocate all profit and excess revenue towards principal. If rates drop we're anticipating reducing the amortization to 15-20 years and intend to pay off the mortgage completely (early) and by 'retirement' age..free and clear - that's when the income will actually have a meaningful impact anyhow or we re-leverage to redevelop or sell to upgrade and/or re-invest.

The Wealth Engine Nobody Sees

When you run a short-term rental with a standard 30-year mortgage, every booking chips away at your loan principal. Early on, most of that payment is interest — but you’re still building equity every single month. Over time, that payoff snowballs.

Example:

  • $700K loan at 7% interest, 30-year fixed
  • Year 1: ~18% of each payment goes to principal
  • Year 10: ~35%
  • Year 20: ~60%

I like to call that forced savings guests pay for - it’s not sexy, but it quietly builds your net worth year after year.

Small Extra Payments = Huge Impact

A lot of people just pay the minimum mortgage and focus on cash flow. But an extra $200–$500 a month toward principal can slash your payoff timeline and total interest.

Example:

  • Same $700K loan
  • Toss in $500/month extra → loan paid off ~5 years sooner
  • That’s tens of thousands in interest savings — or money you can roll into your next deal.

When Rates Drop, It Gets Even Better

Rates are high now. They won't stay high forever. If/when rates drop, STR owners have a triple win:

  • Refi to lower payments → boost cash flow.
  • Keep paying the same → pay it off faster.
  • Cash-out refi → tap tax-free equity for your next coastal buy.

Same property, same guests — but you just unlocked another wealth lever while everyone else complains about rates.

Layer on Coastal Appreciation

Principal paydown is only half the play. The Oregon Coast (and similar under-the-radar coastal markets) have decades of tight supply, slow development, and steady demand.

Quick context:

  • Oregon’s strict land use = very little new oceanfront supply.
  • Small coastal towns cap STR permits — fewer competitors, steady demand.
  • Historical average coastal appreciation: 4–6% per year, with some towns outperforming due to luxury golf, hidden beaches, and second-home momentum.

Second Homes + Climate Momentum

One thing I love about the Oregon Coast: buyers see it as legacy. Improving climate, no hurricanes, low wild fire risk and a place families return to year after year. That pushes long-term resale values and second-home demand. 

Takeaway

Everyone talks cash flow, but don’t forget what happens while you sleep!
- Guests pay your principal.
- You can speed it up with tiny extra payments.
- You refi when rates drop.
- Coastal appreciation stacks on top.

This is how an STR quietly turns into a paid-off, $1–$1.5M coastal asset you own outright — while paying you to hold it.

So yeah..guests cover your loan, the coast covers your equity, and you enjoy a beach house your grandkids will brag about. 

Who else is playing the long game? 

Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
3Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
Quote from @AJ Wong:

Everyone loves to break down STR cash flow, tax loopholes, and regulation nightmares (been there). But one piece that's way under-discussed is the quiet wealth you build just by letting your guests pay your mortgage for you — and how that stacks up with long-term coastal appreciation.

We're in contract on a riverfront cottage here on the Oregon Coast with the game plan to allocate all profit and excess revenue towards principal. If rates drop we're anticipating reducing the amortization to 15-20 years and intend to pay off the mortgage completely (early) and by 'retirement' age..free and clear - that's when the income will actually have a meaningful impact anyhow or we re-leverage to redevelop or sell to upgrade and/or re-invest.

The Wealth Engine Nobody Sees

When you run a short-term rental with a standard 30-year mortgage, every booking chips away at your loan principal. Early on, most of that payment is interest — but you’re still building equity every single month. Over time, that payoff snowballs.

Example:

  • $700K loan at 7% interest, 30-year fixed
  • Year 1: ~18% of each payment goes to principal
  • Year 10: ~35%
  • Year 20: ~60%

I like to call that forced savings guests pay for - it’s not sexy, but it quietly builds your net worth year after year.

Small Extra Payments = Huge Impact

A lot of people just pay the minimum mortgage and focus on cash flow. But an extra $200–$500 a month toward principal can slash your payoff timeline and total interest.

Example:

  • Same $700K loan
  • Toss in $500/month extra → loan paid off ~5 years sooner
  • That’s tens of thousands in interest savings — or money you can roll into your next deal.

When Rates Drop, It Gets Even Better

Rates are high now. They won't stay high forever. If/when rates drop, STR owners have a triple win:

  • Refi to lower payments → boost cash flow.
  • Keep paying the same → pay it off faster.
  • Cash-out refi → tap tax-free equity for your next coastal buy.

Same property, same guests — but you just unlocked another wealth lever while everyone else complains about rates.

Layer on Coastal Appreciation

Principal paydown is only half the play. The Oregon Coast (and similar under-the-radar coastal markets) have decades of tight supply, slow development, and steady demand.

Quick context:

  • Oregon’s strict land use = very little new oceanfront supply.
  • Small coastal towns cap STR permits — fewer competitors, steady demand.
  • Historical average coastal appreciation: 4–6% per year, with some towns outperforming due to luxury golf, hidden beaches, and second-home momentum.

Second Homes + Climate Momentum

One thing I love about the Oregon Coast: buyers see it as legacy. Improving climate, no hurricanes, low wild fire risk and a place families return to year after year. That pushes long-term resale values and second-home demand. 

Takeaway

Everyone talks cash flow, but don’t forget what happens while you sleep!
- Guests pay your principal.
- You can speed it up with tiny extra payments.
- You refi when rates drop.
- Coastal appreciation stacks on top.

This is how an STR quietly turns into a paid-off, $1–$1.5M coastal asset you own outright — while paying you to hold it.

So yeah..guests cover your loan, the coast covers your equity, and you enjoy a beach house your grandkids will brag about. 

Who else is playing the long game? 

Here’s where and why I disagree.  When you accelerate the payment of a mortgage note, you’re essentially investing whatever excess principal payment you make at the interest rate of the note.  So, if you have a property with a 5% mortgage, “paying down’ the mortgage by say $10k means you’ve just invested $10k at 5%. 

Nothing wrong with that - and in fact there is some positive risk adjustment factors to lowering the LTV of any debt on your property.  However, if you can invest that same money you use for the “pay down” at more than 5% (on a risk adjusted basis) you will be wealthier and have a higher accumulate net worth.   As an example, I have in the past obtained mortgages from 2.75% interest to 4.5% interest.  Rather than pay them down with positive cash flow, I invested the cash flow into real estate notes yielding 12 - 24%, and real estate providing an average annual return on my investment of 8 - 12%.  

There are all sorts of ways to run the calculations, but mathematics is definitive, if the assumptions are correct.  A rigorous analysis of paying off a loan with excess cash flow vs investing that cash at a much higher ROI than the interest rate of the subject loan will yield some surprising result, surprising by the magnitude of the advantage of reinvesting in higher ROI.  In general, over 18 -20 years if success at reinvesting at say double the interest rate on the “pay down” the investor would have a net worth triple + than paying down the loan. Albeit at a somewhat increased level of risk, perhaps. 
Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Awesome analysis, again!  

    Thanks AJ!

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Real estate may not technically be the best investment, but it certainly is the ONLY investment where other people are paying for most of the investment.  

    Maybe if I'm lucky, I can average 12 percent a year in the stock market.  But I'm the one having to buy those shares and take the risk.  Real estate might be a measly 3% a year, but if someone else is paying for it, yet I'm the one enjoying the growth in equity, then that's a different conversation entirely.

    I'll take 3% with other peoples' money over 12% with my money any day of the week, because "other people" have a heck of a lot more money than I do.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @AJ Wong:

    Everyone loves to break down STR cash flow, tax loopholes, and regulation nightmares (been there). But one piece that's way under-discussed is the quiet wealth you build just by letting your guests pay your mortgage for you — and how that stacks up with long-term coastal appreciation.

    We're in contract on a riverfront cottage here on the Oregon Coast with the game plan to allocate all profit and excess revenue towards principal. If rates drop we're anticipating reducing the amortization to 15-20 years and intend to pay off the mortgage completely (early) and by 'retirement' age..free and clear - that's when the income will actually have a meaningful impact anyhow or we re-leverage to redevelop or sell to upgrade and/or re-invest.

    The Wealth Engine Nobody Sees

    When you run a short-term rental with a standard 30-year mortgage, every booking chips away at your loan principal. Early on, most of that payment is interest — but you’re still building equity every single month. Over time, that payoff snowballs.

    Example:

    • $700K loan at 7% interest, 30-year fixed
    • Year 1: ~18% of each payment goes to principal
    • Year 10: ~35%
    • Year 20: ~60%

    I like to call that forced savings guests pay for - it’s not sexy, but it quietly builds your net worth year after year.

    Small Extra Payments = Huge Impact

    A lot of people just pay the minimum mortgage and focus on cash flow. But an extra $200–$500 a month toward principal can slash your payoff timeline and total interest.

    Example:

    • Same $700K loan
    • Toss in $500/month extra → loan paid off ~5 years sooner
    • That’s tens of thousands in interest savings — or money you can roll into your next deal.

    When Rates Drop, It Gets Even Better

    Rates are high now. They won't stay high forever. If/when rates drop, STR owners have a triple win:

    • Refi to lower payments → boost cash flow.
    • Keep paying the same → pay it off faster.
    • Cash-out refi → tap tax-free equity for your next coastal buy.

    Same property, same guests — but you just unlocked another wealth lever while everyone else complains about rates.

    Layer on Coastal Appreciation

    Principal paydown is only half the play. The Oregon Coast (and similar under-the-radar coastal markets) have decades of tight supply, slow development, and steady demand.

    Quick context:

    • Oregon’s strict land use = very little new oceanfront supply.
    • Small coastal towns cap STR permits — fewer competitors, steady demand.
    • Historical average coastal appreciation: 4–6% per year, with some towns outperforming due to luxury golf, hidden beaches, and second-home momentum.

    Second Homes + Climate Momentum

    One thing I love about the Oregon Coast: buyers see it as legacy. Improving climate, no hurricanes, low wild fire risk and a place families return to year after year. That pushes long-term resale values and second-home demand. 

    Takeaway

    Everyone talks cash flow, but don’t forget what happens while you sleep!
    - Guests pay your principal.
    - You can speed it up with tiny extra payments.
    - You refi when rates drop.
    - Coastal appreciation stacks on top.

    This is how an STR quietly turns into a paid-off, $1–$1.5M coastal asset you own outright — while paying you to hold it.

    So yeah..guests cover your loan, the coast covers your equity, and you enjoy a beach house your grandkids will brag about. 

    Who else is playing the long game? 

    Here’s where and why I disagree.  When you accelerate the payment of a mortgage note, you’re essentially investing whatever excess principal payment you make at the interest rate of the note.  So, if you have a property with a 5% mortgage, “paying down’ the mortgage by say $10k means you’ve just invested $10k at 5%. 

    Nothing wrong with that - and in fact there is some positive risk adjustment factors to lowering the LTV of any debt on your property.  However, if you can invest that same money you use for the “pay down” at more than 5% (on a risk adjusted basis) you will be wealthier and have a higher accumulate net worth.   As an example, I have in the past obtained mortgages from 2.75% interest to 4.5% interest.  Rather than pay them down with positive cash flow, I invested the cash flow into real estate notes yielding 12 - 24%, and real estate providing an average annual return on my investment of 8 - 12%.  

    There are all sorts of ways to run the calculations, but mathematics is definitive, if the assumptions are correct.  A rigorous analysis of paying off a loan with excess cash flow vs investing that cash at a much higher ROI than the interest rate of the subject loan will yield some surprising result, surprising by the magnitude of the advantage of reinvesting in higher ROI.  In general, over 18 -20 years if success at reinvesting at say double the interest rate on the “pay down” the investor would have a net worth triple + than paying down the loan. Albeit at a somewhat increased level of risk, perhaps. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
      Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y

      I think the point you made about the risk adjusted nature of the paydown is the key point. Paying down debt is a 100% chance of that return. Meaning if your principal is lowered by 10% then there is a 100% chance you DONT have to pay that 5-8% interest on that 10% worth of principal. 

      Where else can you invest with 100% certainty that you will see a return?

      @AJ Wong to your point, this is why I actually like my 20 year amortized loans. The principal payoff every month puts a smile on my face haha. 

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Gregory Schwartz:

      I think the point you made about the risk adjusted nature of the paydown is the key point. Paying down debt is a 100% chance of that return. Meaning if your principal is lowered by 10% then there is a 100% chance you DONT have to pay that 5-8% interest on that 10% worth of principal. 

      Where else can you invest with 100% certainty that you will see a return?

      @AJ Wong to your point, this is why I actually like my 20 year amortized loans. The principal payoff every month puts a smile on my face haha. 

      I have to SOMEWHAT disagree - should you lose the property to foreclosure then any extra principal paydown is lost - 100%.  This is probably more relevant in some commercial loans where there’s no personal guarantee 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Certainly a great strategy, low risk, low effort - nothing wrong with that, but financially not the best performance over time. Agree with Don: the ROI is pretty low.

    This is basically a Dave Ramsey philosophy applied to a real estate investment. Typically, you want to grow your portfolio wide (more properties), before you grow it deep (more equity). Leveraged returns are 3x to 4x because of the leverage on your downpayment, so around 20% total ROI is pretty normal for a REI.

    What I do like is the emphasis on equity vs cash flow. Cash flow is really only there to keep the lights on, equity is where the magic happens.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Agree with the overall benefits of rental properties but the time and capital invested need to be considered. One of my criteria for purchasing RE is that the numbers work on a 15 year mortgage. As for longevity from what I’ve seen anecdotally it gets more difficult to oversee a portfolio of RE as we age, are less able and less astute. Just a plug for both RE and TSM index funds, the latter which is a truly passive investment. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I like to think of my rentals as my investment nest egg.  Of course I also have a proper investment portfolio but most of my properties I have now started the 30 year mortgage in my early 30s so I could/should have them paid off and doubled or more in value by 60.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
    1y

    Thank you, @AJ 

    What caught my attention was your mention of a 7% interest rate—something I understand. I recently started investing in real estate in my 50s with one coastal property and a high-interest 30-year fixed loan.

    “Early” retirement is my goal, but instead of waiting for the elusive perfect market timing and getting stuck in analysis, I'm focused on what I can control:

    * Outlasting others in my market who also bought at high rates. If I stay consistent and strategic, hopefully, time becomes my ally.

    * In year three, projected cash flow will let me send extra toward the principal (not just CapEx & operations). That's when acceleration should begin. I need patience though.

    * Right now, I’m laser-focused on being the best host I can be. I want guests to choose my place, not just for the amenities, but because the experience earns their trust—and their return stays help pay down my loan faster.

    * Tip for youngsters: During deal analysis, run your numbers like pessimists do—low season, high expenses, delayed bookings. I was slightly too optimistic, and that doesn’t magically make cash flow appear.

    I’m playing the long game, and I want to encourage other small-scale or new investors to think like operators—not speculators. Build resilience into your strategy early. Stay lean. High interest rates are challenging!

    @AJ Wongundefined

    @AJ Wong

    • AJ WongBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 695 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Shannon Strickland:

      Thank you, @AJ 

      What caught my attention was your mention of a 7% interest rate—something I understand. I recently started investing in real estate in my 50s with one coastal property and a high-interest 30-year fixed loan.

      “Early” retirement is my goal, but instead of waiting for the elusive perfect market timing and getting stuck in analysis, I'm focused on what I can control:

      * Outlasting others in my market who also bought at high rates. If I stay consistent and strategic, hopefully, time becomes my ally.

      * In year three, projected cash flow will let me send extra toward the principal (not just CapEx & operations). That's when acceleration should begin. I need patience though.

      * Right now, I’m laser-focused on being the best host I can be. I want guests to choose my place, not just for the amenities, but because the experience earns their trust—and their return stays help pay down my loan faster.

      * Tip for youngsters: During deal analysis, run your numbers like pessimists do—low season, high expenses, delayed bookings. I was slightly too optimistic, and that doesn’t magically make cash flow appear.

      I’m playing the long game, and I want to encourage other small-scale or new investors to think like operators—not speculators. Build resilience into your strategy early. Stay lean. High interest rates are challenging!

      @AJ Wongundefined

      @AJ Wong


       Ditto. I made the 'mistake' of selling several prime properties over the years for what amounted to short term gains. Slow and steady wins the race! 

      Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @AJ Wong:
      Quote from @Shannon Strickland:

      Thank you, @AJ 

      What caught my attention was your mention of a 7% interest rate—something I understand. I recently started investing in real estate in my 50s with one coastal property and a high-interest 30-year fixed loan.

      “Early” retirement is my goal, but instead of waiting for the elusive perfect market timing and getting stuck in analysis, I'm focused on what I can control:

      * Outlasting others in my market who also bought at high rates. If I stay consistent and strategic, hopefully, time becomes my ally.

      * In year three, projected cash flow will let me send extra toward the principal (not just CapEx & operations). That's when acceleration should begin. I need patience though.

      * Right now, I’m laser-focused on being the best host I can be. I want guests to choose my place, not just for the amenities, but because the experience earns their trust—and their return stays help pay down my loan faster.

      * Tip for youngsters: During deal analysis, run your numbers like pessimists do—low season, high expenses, delayed bookings. I was slightly too optimistic, and that doesn’t magically make cash flow appear.

      I’m playing the long game, and I want to encourage other small-scale or new investors to think like operators—not speculators. Build resilience into your strategy early. Stay lean. High interest rates are challenging!

      @AJ Wongundefined

      @AJ Wong


       Ditto. I made the 'mistake' of selling several prime properties over the years for what amounted to short term gains. Slow and steady wins the race! 

      AJ, you have identified ONE way, (low stress low risk) way to wealth accumulation using real estate investing.  And you did an excellent job of explaining the beneficial aspects of this methodology. 

      There are other strategies/tactics/investment methods that can better satisfy investors operating under different motivations and desires.  The only issue I have with the “this is nirvana” post and posters is that it portends that this is the best approach for EVERYONE - We have found TRUTH!.  No, there’s a lot of shortcomings with this approach, and while it might be the single best, or at least an adequate approach for the risk averse, minimum involvement investor, it isn’t for others. 

      As I previously posted, the investor whose goals include a greater accumulation of wealth at a moderately greater risk would be better served by using excess cash flow to invest in ROI opportunities that pay a risk adjusted return in excess of the subject mortgage interest rate.  And for active investors, the opportunities to reinvest that same cash flow at many times the ROI are available.  

      But this takes nothing away from your original post - its well thought out, clearly stated, and provides a great option for many investors. 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @AJ Wong:
      Quote from @Shannon Strickland:

      Thank you, @AJ 

      What caught my attention was your mention of a 7% interest rate—something I understand. I recently started investing in real estate in my 50s with one coastal property and a high-interest 30-year fixed loan.

      “Early” retirement is my goal, but instead of waiting for the elusive perfect market timing and getting stuck in analysis, I'm focused on what I can control:

      * Outlasting others in my market who also bought at high rates. If I stay consistent and strategic, hopefully, time becomes my ally.

      * In year three, projected cash flow will let me send extra toward the principal (not just CapEx & operations). That's when acceleration should begin. I need patience though.

      * Right now, I’m laser-focused on being the best host I can be. I want guests to choose my place, not just for the amenities, but because the experience earns their trust—and their return stays help pay down my loan faster.

      * Tip for youngsters: During deal analysis, run your numbers like pessimists do—low season, high expenses, delayed bookings. I was slightly too optimistic, and that doesn’t magically make cash flow appear.

      I’m playing the long game, and I want to encourage other small-scale or new investors to think like operators—not speculators. Build resilience into your strategy early. Stay lean. High interest rates are challenging!

      @AJ Wongundefined

      @AJ Wong


       Ditto. I made the 'mistake' of selling several prime properties over the years for what amounted to short term gains. Slow and steady wins the race! 

      AJ, you have identified ONE way, (low stress low risk) way to wealth accumulation using real estate investing.  And you did an excellent job of explaining the beneficial aspects of this methodology. 

      There are other strategies/tactics/investment methods that can better satisfy investors operating under different motivations and desires.  The only issue I have with the “this is nirvana” post and posters is that it portends that this is the best approach for EVERYONE - We have found TRUTH!.  No, there’s a lot of shortcomings with this approach, and while it might be the single best, or at least an adequate approach for the risk averse, minimum involvement investor, it isn’t for others. 

      As I previously posted, the investor whose goals include a greater accumulation of wealth at a moderately greater risk would be better served by using excess cash flow to invest in ROI opportunities that pay a risk adjusted return in excess of the subject mortgage interest rate.  And for active investors, the opportunities to reinvest that same cash flow at many times the ROI are available.  

      But this takes nothing away from your original post - its well thought out, clearly stated, and provides a great option for many investors. 

      Good points. I have always viewed RE as a long term investment. But several years ago, I bought a cabin for $230K that I had an offer on to buy 5 months later for $370K. That was a bit too tempting to pass up.  

      As a funny side note, I never even stepped foot in that cabin. I only remember that it was near a lake somewhere, in the vicinity of Gatlinburg.  

    • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Collin Hays:
      I think I might welcome that temptation! Ah, but patience is my only option today with my actively self-managed STR.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.