Vacation Rentals -House Hacking

5 Replies

Surfing BP i have came across the term house hacking and I did not realize that my wife and I managed our first home this way. In the early 80,s we bought our first home a large duplex in Ventnor NJ 2 blocks from the beach. Our friend was renting his house out for the summer and we decided to do the same My wife and I moved in with my father in law and we rented both units out for $8000 for  little over 2 months . This is money up front. The added cash was great and we moved back in and rented the bottom unit for 9 months We repeated this process for a number of years but just the bottom unit ( it was tough living with in laws)  my friend was single and would rent his house out for over $10,000 for summer rent from a friend and then have roommates all year Another great house hack.just wanted to share with those staring out that there a plenty of ways to make the most out of your real estate choices 

Additional "house hacks" are to convert a long term rental in to a vacation rental which is rented by the week. Advertise on vrbo or airbnb to get 3-4 times more rent.

If you have a large property with 4+ bedrooms, convert it to an assisted living facility. (following your states rules of course).  You can get $3000 to $8000 PER BEDROOM.

I've been wanting to get a beach house but l l'd never thought of this strategy. It's better than having a condo especially if you know where you want to vacation every year.

Having a vacation rental as a house hack is an interesting strategy!

I'm using my own house right now as a short term/vacation rental, and we're not in a tourist destination by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm still averaging over a 50% occupancy rate in Lawrence, KS (at $59/night).  Its a little more work than traditional house hacking, since there's so much turnover, but the cash flow is great.

I guess my point here is you don't necessarily have to go out and buy a vacation rental to do this.  Check out your own area on Airbnb and see if you can rent out an empty guest room in your house.  

@Steven Picker

I completely agree with @Brittany DeWitt . I live in Arlington and vacation rent my primary residence. Check out Flipkey too for comparable rates and talk with the folks over there too. I'm in a group on Airbnb that discusses this from time to time as well. Make it work for you! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here