Testing the STR waters?

4 Replies

We're getting ready to close on a 4 plex - units 3-6 for us. All 4 units are currently rented but we intend to end the month to month agreement with one of the tenants due to cleanliness issues. After that we're planning to spend $5k and and one month freshening it up. Toying with the idea of turning it into an air bnb property and keeping the other 3 units LTR to keep stability. The income from the 3 units covers all expenses with a little left over so anything I make on the STR would be gravy. Market rent on it long term ~ $850-900. I'd need to rent it 7-8 days a month at short term rates to break even.

I *think* its marketable being 5 minutes from our growing downtown where hotels are often sold out. Any reasons not to give it a shot? 

I say go for it. Check out all the competing properties in Des Moines, and make sure you are priced at or slightly below their prices. Offer a little bit of extras - like bottled water and single-serve portable snacks such as granola bars, and watch your rental fill up.

Or, if it doesn't work out, you can always rent it out as a long term deal. I see minimal setup expenses - furnishing it, and maximum potential. I would love to hear what you do with this.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

@Ashly B. very cool! I am interested to hear in a few months how this works out. I've toyed with that idea in Des Moines as well but have not made the jump. I've struggled wondering where a desirable location would be for a tourist or weekend visitor would be. Maybe downtown, south of grand, beaverdale?

@Jedd Braunwarth

Our place is across from Union Park. I'm not sure its a tourist destination in itself but its less than 2 miles from downtown, close to the bike path and river, a mile from Grand View and 3 from Drake so maybe even get some families for college visits, etc. I'll definitely update how it goes if that's the route we decide to take.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.