What are the best things renters have left behind?

13 Replies

Someone left a queen size bedframe with a pillow top mattress set. 

A 5 gallon hot/cold water dispenser.  A 3/4 inch socket set.

Propane tanks. Service cart. 5 lbs of boudin.

Used BMW suspension components ready to send back for the core ($60).

A bicycle. Small HDTV. Mudder tires with rims.

A Glock 23 (he called and came back for it weeks later).

Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

Someone left a queen size bedframe with a pillow top mattress set.

A 5 gallon hot/cold water dispenser. A 3/4 inch socket set.

Propane tanks. Service cart. 5 lbs of boudin.

Used BMW suspension components ready to send back for the core ($60).

A bicycle. Small HDTV. Mudder tires with rims.

A Glock 23 (he called and came back for it weeks later).

Money.

But no, nothing that interesting since my cleaners just throw stuff out and I don't know anything much. How do people leave a queen size bed frame and a glock though, that's crazy.

Paul's tenants stay for a longer time because they're workers who have a specific job to do.  They probably bring more personal items because it's almost like they're moving in for awhile.  Most vacation rental homes are just for leisure, so the guests don't bring many personal items with them.  I've had people leave towels behind.  Maybe some sand toys and food, but we just have our cleaners throw everything out, so like you, @Andrew Wong , I don't really know much about what's left behind either.  

A clean, move in ready house that I don't have to do anything to rent out again!

Not exactly renters, but former owners of my friend's property left original sheet music from Mozart and Beethoven! The Mozart music was sold through Sotheby's for $1.7 million!

We had an event at the building last month, which used to be a seminary but has since been converted into a commercial apartment building. Probably the best story I've heard in that regard.

Although the housekeepers usually throw out minor items and take any food left behind home, guests regularly add new tastes to the spice cabinet, leave additions to the DVD collection and I have no idea where the outdoor lounge chair came from.  As far as I know, no Glocks.

Police officer left his service pistol and called me in a panic when he was half an hour away, asking me to tell the cleaner not to touch it and that he was coming back.

Giant piles of dog hair even though we're not pet friendly. 

One time I left a Sig 1911 in my own cabin. Luckily wifey stayed behind a few days to show cabins so she was able to grab it and bring it home. 

Don't immediately throw or sell the tenant's goods away as your tenant could make a claim against you for damages.

Try to contact the tenant and make sure you made reasonable attempts to locate them.

Most recent guest left me a Mary Kay catalog!

fancy alcohol, that's my favorite thing people leave behind!

The most valuable.. Would be A 1/2 carat diamond engagement band.. A close second was a large amount of weed.

The ring was found between the baseboard and wall of a newly purchased duplex. It was unoccupied. 

The weed was found in the access door to the bath tub plumbing.. A few years earlier an outgoing tenant was honest enough to tell me they had forgotten where they hid there weed.. Fast forward a couple years...Bingo!

There is a past forum on oddest things left behind that is noteworthy.

Agree, an empty, clean, undamaged unit is the best... but more interesting oddities abound.

I had a partially furnished condo with a very sharp machete left under a mattress (guy told me to keep it)...

Somehow I once got a string of artificial Christmas trees in a series of turnovers. No fun in summer though.

For a couple of years about every turn over had a bottle opener/can opener in a kitchen drawer. Set for life on those.

Loose change pops up when you de-lint a dryer or pull up old carpets.

Oddest: a window to a jeep was behind a door.....

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.