Does it make sense to rent West Palm Beach house with Airbnb?

17 Replies

I own rental house in West Palm Beach are that was successfully rented last 4 years.

Now I am exploring short term rental opportunity through Airbnb and etc. Goal is to have  chance to stay sometimes there on Christmas or Thanksgivings myself. And also I read some horror stories about problems with eviction of not paying tenants. Would, anybody , please, share his or her experience with Airbnb or VRBO. Can I make some money? My previous rent was 1800$ a month, now it is 2000$. House has a pool and located just across the bridge from Singer Island, 1 mile from good free public beach. Does it make sense to go from 1 year rent to Airbnb kind of rent?

I stayed myself with Airbnb in Italy and California, but totally new as Airbnb host.

Originally posted by @Alex Gera :

I own rental house in West Palm Beach are that was successfully rented last 4 years.

Now I am exploring short term rental opportunity through Airbnb and etc. Goal is to have  chance to stay sometimes there on Christmas or Thanksgivings myself. And also I read some horror stories about problems with eviction of not paying tenants. Would, anybody , please, share his or her experience with Airbnb or VRBO. Can I make some money? My previous rent was 1800$ a month, now it is 2000$. House has a pool and located just across the bridge from Singer Island, 1 mile from good free public beach. Does it make sense to go from 1 year rent to Airbnb kind of rent?

I stayed myself with Airbnb in Italy and California, but totally new as Airbnb host.

So the property is by the Publix and Loggerhead Marina on 45th street? Or is it farther west in Riviera Beach?

Brian, actually I am thinking to buy another house or may be two in WPB area in a year or two when I move here from Atlanta. But, likely not that close to the water, I do not want both houses be flooded in the same time. Open for suggestions. Preferences - safe area with good renters and may be some studentets for my wife -piano teacher.

Alex  AIrbnb right now is great for the south Florida area but like any thing in real estate it a risk  but I also think it will be great if you had a airbnb manager just like a property  manager . can't say im a newbie because i been learning about real estate for about 2 years ..

Having 2 week booked on air bnb is the same as a whole months rent .. and the cleaning services are moving toward the airbnb side on things. plus south Florida will always have the snow birds season (people thats running from the cold)....AS far area in palm beach i think lake worth in some part are gems for airbnb price and location wise .. i just seen a duplex going for 165k of it my need a Work but It in a great area ....  West palm beach is on it rise to be a Miami or ft ft lauderdale 

@Alex Gera Congrats on having an opportunity to explore getting more personal use out of your property! What about trying AirBnB for a few months and see how it goes and if it's not to your liking and doesn't make sense as an investment, you can go back to long term renters. 

Love that your wife is a piano teacher! I have TWO acoustic pianos in my home as it came with one (can you believe that???) and I brought one with me. And yep, I play both of them! ;-) 

Lots of great areas to buy in WPB!!! 

Have recently expaneded intto Air BnB using rental properties and it is looking really proomissing more then willing to share what I am learning

(705) 474-4794
Originally posted by @Laraque Vilsaint :

Alex  AIrbnb right now is great for the south Florida area but like any thing in real estate it a risk  but I also think it will be great if you had a airbnb manager just like a property  manager . can't say im a newbie because i been learning about real estate for about 2 years ..

Having 2 week booked on air bnb is the same as a whole months rent .. and the cleaning services are moving toward the airbnb side on things. plus south Florida will always have the snow birds season (people thats running from the cold)....AS far area in palm beach i think lake worth in some part are gems for airbnb price and location wise .. i just seen a duplex going for 165k of it my need a Work but It in a great area ....  West palm beach is on it rise to be a Miami or ft ft lauderdale 

Out of curiosity where did you see a Duplex for $165k in a great area?

In lake Worth it was for sale by owner i believe  lake worth is a gem due to the change of scene on downtown lake worth  plus it was a 1/1 duplex 

In lake Worth it was for sale by owner i believe  lake worth is a gem due to the change of scene on downtown lake worth  plus it was a 1/1 duplex 

I figured it was most likely in Lake Worth east of 95 off 6th Ave or around that area.

@Alex Gera What areas are you looking to do STR? I managed a rental in Palm Beach gardens that did extremely well. Lake Worth was quite poor and Lantana was extremely strict as they have a 30-day minimum restriction. Boca also has alot of restrictions as well.

Depending on the size of the home and location you will make well over $2000/month.

Originally posted by @Richard Ibeh :

@Alex Gera What areas are you looking to do STR? I managed a rental in Palm Beach gardens that did extremely well. Lake Worth was quite poor and Lantana was extremely strict as they have a 30-day minimum restriction. Boca also has alot of restrictions as well.

Depending on the size of the home and location you will make well over $2000/month.

Where do you find the different county rental restrictions and/or guidelines?

@Brian Garrett you'll have to call the city and speak to the code compliance department. Their websites are extremely outdated so most of them don't have the information online. Any city I am setting up a rental in I call in advance and inquire what is needed for short-term rental. I learned the hard way and got notices on my clients' doors and ended up in court quite a few times all over south florida.

Wow! There's an opportunity! Someone could maintain an ever-changing list of rules and regulations for various cities in Florida. Thanks for the tip @Richard Ibeh

What do you think it will cost to furnish it?

Originally posted by @Brian Garrett :
Originally posted by @Laraque Vilsaint:

I figured it was most likely in Lake Worth east of 95 off 6th Ave or around that area.

More of Greenacers by 10th and congress i do a Lot of written mail to try to find seller who ready to sell due to landlord ship ..

Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
Originally posted by @Laraque Vilsaint:

More of Greenacers by 10th and congress i do a Lot of written mail to try to find seller who ready to sell due to landlord ship ..

Cool please let me know if you come across any deals that don't fit your model. I'd be happy to look at them!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.