Votes
Michael Kugler
  • Branson, MO
Votes |
Need advice on a vacation rental website

Michael Kugler
  • Branson, MO
Posted Nov 19 2017, 06:31

We are going to roll out a powerful vacation rental website in about 2 months. It has HUGE seo potential and will be a viable alternative for homeowners who want a great place to list. 

Having said that, there are things that I am running into a brick wall on and I could really use some advice here.

To start - another group I am a member of is adamantly opposed to letting property managers list on the site. IOW, telling me that they will not list with me if I allow PMs to list. Some have been more conciliatory and said they will still list, but the PMs have to pay to list each of their properties just like the individual homeowner does. How in the world could I enforce something like this?

#2. Verification - while the homes that we have been testing are all verified, what am I going to do for future listings? I need something more than scout's honor when dealing with something this large. If you say utility bill - easy to photoshop. Send a postcard that has to be returned - that would also be easy to set up a false listing and a PO box. If you say check county court records, it still does not stop the elaborate thief from using a public record. We want to ensure that all listings are vetted and above board.

#3. Following up on #2, do you think we should also vet travelers? Currently, the people that I have polled have went 80 20 against saying they will vet their own clients and that it would drive away more potential customers than bring them in. Again, I want to protect the homeowners as well without being a nanny state.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

Loading replies...