Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Miki M.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Linn, OR
Votes |
VRBO's dead. AirBNB's not great. How to market a Vacation Rental?

Miki M.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Linn, OR
Posted Nov 24 2017, 09:58

I have been working on setting up a modest vacation rental in the Portland metro area. 

In the past, friends of mine were raving about VRBO, telling me it really does work- and they had a reasonable fee structure. But I recently checked their reviews on Consumer Affairs, and Oh-My-Gosh! Really unfortunate what has happened there as of late. Here is the link so you can read for yourself:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/vrbo.html

And then there is AirBNB. It used to be a fresh platform and maybe many people still view it as an innovator in travel. But I must be honest- I really dread their limiting app/UX/GUi... plus I also hear some owners are unhappy with their pricing and fees structure, and the lack of sufficient control over their listing. But at least they are still relatively transparent in their pricing, compared to the "new VRBO / HomeAway"...

I wanted to ask the BiggerPockets VR owners: can you recommend any other websites or resources to help me jumpstart my new vacation rental as a business? With sufficient control over picking the right visitors, and still being able to break Eben- without excessive fees...?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Loading replies...