Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Is this STR marketing strategy too aggressive?

Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Posted Dec 26 2017, 10:57

Here is my business environment:

The town I am in has a population of 9000.  There is a petroleum refinery on the edge of town.  During any given week, there can be 20-200 traveling contractors working short term jobs at the refinery.  I rent 22 STRs to them and them only.  I don't rent to locals because it's too expensive for them.  I don't do VR because the rental duration is too short.  Half my places are two bedrooms, the other half are bigger.

My competition is 5 motels and a trailer park with itsy bitsy cabins.  I can not compete against people that bring their own motor home or camper to stay in while they work.  Motels and the cabins are my competition.

My advantages are that my STRs cost less, there is a full kitchen just like back home, a full size washer and dryer in the house, and one bed in every bedroom.

I'm making a promotional flyer.  It has inside and outside pictures of my houses plus a sales pitch extolling everything in the above paragraph.  On the back I list a cable channel guide and a map of the town.

HERE IS WHAT I WANT TO PUT ON THE FLYER

List each motel, their address and their phone number.  I would say something to the effect of "Call any local motel, then make your own decision on where you want to stay while working here."  I'm not going to mention anything about cost or quality.  It's just my competitions phone number and address.

Good idea?  Bad idea?  Do you have another idea?

I would be mailing these to the HR dept of companies before they send their workers here. 

Loading replies...