• Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
Big Bear Lake Vacation Rental

Susana L.
  • Accountant
  • Newport Beach, CA
Posted May 30 2018, 18:12

Hello Friends!

I am very interesting in purchasing a small cabin up in Big Bear.  I would like to use it personally only a couple times a year and rent it out as a vacation rental the rest of the year.  I would like to use VRBO or AirBnB to list and a local management company to manage the property and renters.  

In my research, I have seen some community posts about Big Bear having strict rules on vacation rental owners. For those of you that have experience as an investor in this area, I would love to pick your brain!  Here are some of my questions  :)

1.  What is the best resource for me to obtain info about rules and restrictions for those that own vacation rentals in Big Bear?

2.  I would love to manage the property myself but I live in Orange County and work full-time.  Although I'm less than 2 hours away, it probably would be more efficient to hire a management company.  I have never managed a vacation rental before.  It seems a little more hands-on than a regular residential rental?  Also, I have read that local property management companies take as much as 30% commission from rental income.  This seems excessive, doesn't it?  Or is this typical?

3.  Do you prefer VRBO or AirBnB?  Or do local management companies handle the bookings for you?  

4.  Do you get year-round renters or is it typically only summer and winter seasons that your property is booked up?

Any advice or guidance you can offer is SO SO SO much appreciated!  I am so thankful to have found BP and find value in being a part of this community every day!  Thank you again!

Susana  :)

Loading replies...