Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
To all those interested in Airbnb/VRBO/short-term rentals in Colorado Springs ...
This Friday, the city sent an update to the proposed short-term rental ordinance. The biggest change is, well, a big one: They removed the prohibition on one STR per property. In its place, they are now proposing STR limits that mirror a property's zoning density. For instance, properties zoned:
R-1 (One family residential) can house one short-term rental.
R-2 (two-family residential) can operate up to two Airbnb/short-term rental units.
R-4 (multi-family residential) can operate up to four short-term rentals.
(To clarify the R-2 zoning, this would allow duplex owners to rent both sides; allow SFH with a basement apartment to rent top and bottom; and allow a SFH with a carriage house to rent both units)
My wife, @Erin Spradlin, and I are pretty interested in seeing this change make it to the final version as we bought a SFH with carriage house with some partners this year. If you're interested in seeing this change stay in the ordinance, you can do two things:
email Megan Herington at the Colorado Springs planning department to voice your approval of the latest changes
voice your approval at an Aug. 7 public meeting hosting by the Council of Neighborhood Organizations (CONO)
5:30-7p.m, Aug. 7, at City Auditorium, 221 E. Kiowa
Totally. Unfortunately, tt seems from the last few Denver Short-Term Rental Advisory Committees I've attended that the city might actually tighten up the rules -- they have mentioned requiring that you live in your property a certain number of days before it can be considered your primary residence (and therefore legal to do Airbnb in).
Anyway, I continue to like Colorado Springs for this whole Airbnb/VRBO thing.
Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 201 votes
8y
@James Carlson - just curious where you saw this? I'm on the email list for the STR alliance and didn't get anything and don't see anything on the FB page. Really good news if they are at least considering this change!
Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
8y
Hi @James Carlson I am sorry to see I missed the advertisement about your meeting last night. I would have come if I had seen it sooner. How did it go?
Thanks for reaching out. It went well. About 20 or so in attendance. Great conversation. Some creative real estate/Airbnb ideas. And a lot of super sexy talk about Denver short-term-rental regulations, Colorado Springs zoning ordinances, and planning commission meeting minutes. ;)