Airbnb SFH - different listing every room?

10 Replies

I just recently listened to the BP podcast #210. On the second half of the episode, Sam is interviewed. He mentions that he owns a single family home(SFH) and rents out each room. Has anybody else done this and have any input/advice on this topic? I am thinking about buying my first property to house hack. My desire is to own a Multifamily and live in one of the units for free, but Multifamily homes are harder to find right now. I initially didn’t want to use an FHA on a single family house because I was looking to rent and generate cashflow. I didn’t want a years worth of negative cashflow. Now, however, I am thinking about a bigger SFH with 4-5 rooms. Each door would have an electronic code lock that would change frequently. Each door could also have a number on it, and thus have a separate listing. The common space would be shared. It would be lIke a mini motel, in which I would hopefully generate +cashflow, or at least living for free(with so many doors, the rent would be higher). Any thoughts? Experiences?
@Jack Walker . It’s possible! Depends on your market. College kids? Can’t imagine families would want to share rooms unless it’s a big gorgeous bed and breakfast. First question is.... are shorty term rentals legal in your area? Do you need a permit? Can you get a permit? Spend some time on AirBnB. See if anyone else is doing what you’re looking to do, and are they making money (how full is their calendar). Good Luck!

@Jack Walker I've rented out rooms in my personal house before and it generated more money than the traditional lease. However, it will depend on where you are located. I don't expect someone in a low cost of living area to earn much more but if you're in cities like NY, San Fran, LA, Chicago, Miami, DC, Boston, Seattle etc it's a no-brainer. Make sure to advertise all utilities included as that's the major selling piece.

@Jack Walker there are always traveling nurses looking for rooms to rent for a few months while they are placed at hostpital. There are a few fb grounds for traveling nurses looking for housing. Give it a look. It will give you an idea of how in demand your rooms might be.

@Jack Walker - You can read my posts about this. I always advocate buying a bigger house and renting rooms. Other professionals on yearly leases is the easiest, and shorter term / daily Airbnb is the hardest way to juice your returns to 50-100% above market rentals AND live for free. Where I’m at, which has solid jobs but isn’t a luxury condo in a tourist hotspot, I make more with less hassles charging like $600-800/mo per room with a security deposit on a lease, plus split utilities (so they have an incentive to not run the AC/heat like crazy - my other smaller house with included utilities is going on 4 months of $550/mo electric bills while the first with shares utilities is $250).

Tips:
1. Save yourself the money on electronic locks. The only electronic lock you need is a Schlage Camelot on the front of the main door. Get normal $10 keyed locks inside and have a set of master keys. In 8 years only 1 person has lost her key.
2. Furnish your house for cheap off craigslist moving sales. I got my huge leather sofa, tv, bedroom sets for 50-70% off. I also bought my appliances (fridge, HE washer and dryer) for 50-70% off. Anything more than $250 for a bed, usually including a nice wooden or metal frame, is too much.
3. Post everywhere and screen! Interview people. Funnel to open houses (they’re flaky about showing up). Get security deposits. Do a background check if you can. Give yourself an out if the person is unnaturally messy and expects you to clean up after him/her in the common kitchen and/or provide food / consumables. (I try to make people buy their own paper towels, tp, etc. lame people will use a whole roll on one spill).
4. Don’t compromise. Don’t work with people who can’t afford the sec dep unless you’re desperate. I’ve always had excessive damage problems with people who have pets or use hookahs / smoke.

In my area, I’ve been Airbnb ing a spare room in my apartment, and I have only had lone people come in just for the fact that it was way cheaper than a hotel. Some were  there while they waited to be approved to rent somewhere else. Either way, I got completely booked for the month of September by September 5th. And yes I’m my area, I need a business license and a short term rental permit.

I can offer a customer perspective. I stay in an Airbnb once a month when I travel for work. Since all I need is a place to sleep/shower, I prioritize location over actual amenities. I’ve stayed in private suites within houses, in private rooms with shared bathrooms, and once in a shared room with bunk beds. Would you be able to have a lot of potential customers staying alone, traveling for work? If so, then I would say having private rooms with shared bathrooms would be acceptable. Depending on area of the country, public transit access could be very important in addition to location. If you think your primary guests would be there for pleasure, location would still be important, but vacationers would care more about privacy (private suites or non-shared bathrooms), kitchen and fridge access, maybe even parking. Most of the Airbnbs I’ve stayed in recently I would NOT stay in if I were traveling with someone. Also when people are staying in your home, cleanliness is a bit factor. My worst Airbnb experience was in a house with tons of sloppy homemade storage and clutter (the bed I slept in was a bunk bed but top bunk was loaded with misc. crap), unclean shared spaces (toothpaste flecks on mirror and all over sink, floss hanging out of the trash can), only one thin towel that I had to ask for, bad outlet access, and no top sheet on the bed. (Because of the general uncleanliness I wasn’t even sure if the linens were freshly cleaned — I slept with a shirt over my pillow.) My point is that in shared spaces, especially bathrooms, it is extra important to be clean when there are paying guests on the premises.

I was thinking about the lone travelers. I have had people come to my town for work for a week, so I have had luck with just single customers. I should also mention that I am somewhat of a clean freak, so everything is always cleaner for the guests.