How do you politely ask your vacationers to leave?

31 Replies

As a renter, I’ve had owners text something like this, “Just a reminder that checkout tomorrow is at 10 AM.  Would you please text me when you’ve locked the door to leave?  I like to tell my cleaners when they can start.  Thank you!”

@Mindy Jensen Before the people are trying to get their work done, packing, and traveling (so a 3-5 in advance of arrival) I say:

'We are excited for your arrival and know you will have a great stay. Everything will be ready for you at (specific check in time) on your check in day. The space is yours until (specific check out time) the day of check out. If you know you have an early flight out that day we'd love to know so we can get to cleaning but, take the time you need up to (specific check out time).'

Also, we have instructions for them to text a word (in our case the name of street) when they leave... 'Please text Main Street to ***-***-**** upon check out.' This works about 90% of the time and allows us in ASAP, great when you've got 3 quick turns in a day.

"I ended up leaving at 12:06, not a huge deal". Why is leaving at 1206 not a huge deal and 1215 is not cool?

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

"I ended up leaving at 12:06, not a huge deal". Why is leaving at 1206 not a huge deal and 1215 is not cool?

This is a great question. When checkout is 12, that doesn't mean 12:06. You're totally right. The cleaning crew had started at the other end of the hallway, and had not yet gotten to my room, so I wasn't holding them up by leaving at 12:06. But what if they HAD gotten to my room? You're 100% correct. 

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen Jensen:
Originally posted by @Erik M.:

This is a great question. When checkout is 12, that doesn't mean 12:06. You're totally right. The cleaning crew had started at the other end of the hallway, and had not yet gotten to my room, so I wasn't holding them up by leaving at 12:06. But what if they HAD gotten to my room? You're 100% correct. 

I respect your answer @Mindy Jensen.

Yeah. I'd say that you have a couple things to lean on : 

1) "Policy" states check out time is "x". That was agreed upon when the space was booked. Any late check out results in additional fees of "X". 

2) Communicating time is needed to reset and clean the space. We tell our short term renters to let us know when they leave so we can hop in and clean it. We have cleaners but so far most everyone let's us know when they leave. It also keeps everyone accountable. We usually send that message the night prior stating we hope they had a wonderful stay and a friendly reminder that check out is at 10am the next day and to let us know when they leave. 

We've only had someone stay late but it was only a half hour. If they stayed later, the cleaners would naturally show up while they're here and they'd have the awkward interaction haha. But if there was ever an issue, "Policies" and "house rules" help remove emotional communication and make it easy to say, "Sorry, these were agreed upon booking. etc."