Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
RJ Bogardus
Votes |
Short Term Property Managers in Hilton Head

RJ Bogardus
Posted Aug 7 2019, 18:58

Hey all. Somewhat new to the BP community, but have been a landlord for a few years now.

My wife and I are looking to purchase an income property on Hilton Head Island for short term rental opportunities so we can utilize when its not rented out.

Since we’re 3.5 hours away, we’d be looking to find a reliable property management company/ individual who has a proven track record of success handling short term rentals.

Has anyone here had a positive experience with an organization/individual they’d recommend? We’ll be in Hilton Head for a long weekend in October so we’d like to arrange a few meet ups in advance.

Thanks!

- RJ

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 7 2019, 22:26

Hi @RJ Bogardus. You have no interest in self management? I am over 6 hours from our STR and it is very manageable if you have the right cleaners and handypersons available.

I would have to think that you would lose 40% to a STR manager. Are you prepared to take that hit?

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Aug 8 2019, 00:06

@RJ Bogardus yup. Self manage it’s stupid easy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
RJ Bogardus
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2019, 06:25

@Michael Baum @Luke Carl - I currently self manage my long term rental in CT (from NC), but that's simple since they rarely reach out. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle turning the property over every week, so that's why I want to have meetings with management companies to map everything out and make a decision from there.

User Stats

Votes
Emir Dukic
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Aug 8 2019, 11:19

@RJ Bogardus To Michael's & Lucas' points, think the bigger opportunity here is education on the STR market. Sounds like this is all new to you so you aren't even sure where to start. As those guys point out, self managing is realistic but there is a learning curve (one that you would also have with a manager). Happy to talk you through some key points if interested.

User Stats

Votes
Max Malec
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 17 2022, 16:37

I too am looking at property managers in Hilton Head for my 2/2 condo. We plan on going live with bookings in June after the rehab is finished. My biggest fear with self-managing is screwing something up in the early months and receiving bad reviews right off the bat which is tough to come back from. 

Is there a typical commission for PMs on the island? 40% seems to be common across the country but since Hilton Head is so tourist/STR focused, I would imagine that competition would bring the commission down to 20%-25%. Has anyone found a good vacation PM on Hilton Head for ~20%?

User Stats

Votes
Tracy Ross
  • Property Manager
Votes |
  • Property Manager
Replied Dec 30 2023, 13:26

Hey there... I know this post is old but thought I'd reach out to see how your PM's are doing for you?  We went all in self managing our HHI property from a distance (NJ) as well, and you're right, the first year was a learning curve.  Since that experience, we decided to move out to HHI earlier than originally planned to help other absent owners. Curious how your experience has been?