North Georgia Cabin Rentals (Eljay, Blueride, etc)

10 Replies

My wife and I are wanting to purchase our first rental (we are in the Forsyth County area) and thought that a cabin in North Georgia would be a good place to start. We love going up there, so were hoping to purchase a lower price cabin (180k or lower, 3 bed/2 bath minimum) and rent it on AirBnb for 2-3 weekends a month and us use it maybe once a month. 

Thoughts on this? One we have our eye on is a 3 bed/ 2 bath at 165k in Cherry Log near some rivers, hiking trails and ponds. Any tips/advice on how difficult keeping it rented will be would be helpful!

Research competitor in the area directly on Airbnb. Also, check out AirDNA.co (somewhat accurate) 

Originally posted by @William Ford :

My wife and I are wanting to purchase our first rental (we are in the Forsyth County area) and thought that a cabin in North Georgia would be a good place to start. We love going up there, so were hoping to purchase a lower price cabin (180k or lower, 3 bed/2 bath minimum) and rent it on AirBnb for 2-3 weekends a month and us use it maybe once a month. 

Thoughts on this? One we have our eye on is a 3 bed/ 2 bath at 165k in Cherry Log near some rivers, hiking trails and ponds. Any tips/advice on how difficult keeping it rented will be would be helpful!

How are you going to arrange for cleaning/restocking and repairs/maintenance?  Those are going to be your main responsibilities.  How is your 3M Talent (Mechanic, Magician, Mindreader)?  What will you do if there is underage drinking, drugs or prostitutes involved with your rental?  I've experienced all 3.

Sounds like a good idea. Since you want to have a place to use and rent it as a vacation rental to offset your costs you don't have to make a killing off the place. It will be a plus if you make money off the remaining days you don't use.

I would research on VRBO and Airbnb to check the going rates and see how full other vacation rentals in the area are are.

We rent our vacation rental on VRBO and Airbnb and get over 90% of our bookings on VRBO.

If just having a vacation spot for yourself is your goal, then this is not a bad strategy at all, just do your research to ensure that you can break even. To get started you'll just need a good cleaner and a good handyperson. 

If your goal is to scale and build a business, I'd go with the Tennessee or North Carolina side of the mountains, as their tourism traffic is much higher and in turn, returns are much higher.

Hey @William Ford . Cherry Log, GA seems to have a pretty active vacation rental market. The average nightly is around $150 and that is on a 2/2. The 3/2's get a bit more, but not huge. Only a couple of places are in the $200 a night.

Occupancy looks to be about 50-60% which isn't bad. That is for 5 star rated places of all sizes.

Your first year will be a little lean most likely. No reviews makes it a more challenging rental. You can undercut a bit to help drive some traffic but be careful not to get the dregs of society in there who could trash the house.

Once you get rolling, things will pickup. If this is primarily a vacation home for you, then this are would work well IMHO.

Get a cleaner and handyperson ready to go. Make sure you have that lined up first before diving in. Of course if you are close, you could clean it yourself and maintain. Could be a lot of work if the occupancy gets high.

Prices are decent in the area. I just looked at a nice 4/2 cabin fully furnished for $245. Looks to be a STR already. Check the laws in and around the area regarding vacation rentals.

@Michael Baum

Thank you Michael - lots of helpful information there I appreciate it! I also appreciate everyone else’s feedback - definitely some valuable thoughts I wouldn’t have considered. We are looking at a 3/2 in blue ridge and another 2/2 in cherry log this evening. Pretty exciting, they are at 219 and 180 and the 219 is on 2 acres on a pond and looks beautiful.

Haven’t asked on the fully furnished, but hoping one of these would consider that. They look beautiful as they are and would save me some cash and hassle. Will keep y’all posted - appreciate everyone’s time and feedback thus far already!

Nick

@Scott Kaczmarek

Hey Scott! I am not buying through a group or a property management group. There are a ton up there, so if I wanted someone to take it over and pay 8% or whatever it is I’m sure I could.

I am just buying my first rental that I will use as a vacation weekend spot so I don’t want to rope a management group in since I want to have control, and don’t need a property manager for just one rental.

That’s where my thoughts are now, I haven’t closed on a house yet but have looked at several. The 2 acre property went under contract with a cash offer last week so probably out. Was very nice though!