How accurate is Airdna?

12 Replies

What's everyone's experience with Airdna on accuracy of forecasting revenue, ADR, and booking or occupancy rate? I'm looking at several properties in Corpus Christi, Tx. Airdna says occupancy should be 60%, ADR is $233, and revenue is $54000. But when I compare listings the numbers are much lower. However we are going into the slow season.

@Robert Tinker  

Airdna is a great tool but you’ve got to understand it’s flaws. Your best bet is to go on Airbnb and see how much your neighbors are charging, (by clicking on the dates as if you’re going to book them), and see how booked they are. 

It’s no different than a LTR. When I want to know what a perspective property will rent for..... I check out the competition on Zillow and Facebook marketplace. STRs are not listed on Zillow, they’re listed on Airbnb and VRBO- but it’s the same process. 

This question gets asked a few times per month. Search the forum for “airdna” and you’ll find all kinds of threads.

I agree with @Lucas Carl you need to do a little leg work and not fully trust the inflated numbers on Airdna.

I would check Vrbo and Airbnb.

I agree with @Lucas Carl you need to do a little leg work and not fully trust the inflated numbers on Airdna.

I would check Craigslist.

Airdna is a valuable tool to supplement your own due diligence . Google Scott Shatford (airdna Founder) He's all over the podcast world detailing his product.Give a listen. They are continually improving their algorithms and I have definitely noticed it an improvement in the accuracy of their data.

Originally posted by @Robert Tinker :

What's everyone's experience with Airdna on accuracy of forecasting revenue, ADR, and booking or occupancy rate? I'm looking at several properties in Corpus Christi, Tx. Airdna says occupancy should be 60%, ADR is $233, and revenue is $54000. But when I compare listings the numbers are much lower. However we are going into the slow season.

Remember the summer season is BY FAR the busiest. If the software projects off summer season only the numbers would be ridiculous. You can cut that revenue and ADR number almost in half and that looks to be right on the money for my properties. 

Your main goal on the island is to break even from Oct - May and then cash in during summer. My little 1/1s do $3,500-$4k in the summer months. 

I recently signed up for AirDNA's paid service for my market, Oklahoma City, OK, and scheduled a call with one of their representatives. She explained how everything worked and how best to use it. I found it to be very helpful in understanding their method for calculating things like occupancy rates and ADR. I plan to use Rental Arbitrage to find STR's, and by entering the address into the Rentalizer, I could quickly find out if a property could be expected to turn a profit. It actually caused me to realize that some of my expectations were too optimistic for some properties I was considering. I do sometimes feel like their projections for some things, especially occupancy rate, are very conservative, but as someone else mentioned, you have to keep in mind that there are going to be some very slow periods during the year that will bring down the yearly percentage. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has used it for a year while managing a property and how well AirDNA's forecast compared to the actual results.

Airdna puts donkey testes in their mouth and inhales.  I'm putting it nicely.  The data is flawed.