Carolina, RI · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 7 votes
I am looking to purchase my first vacation rental in another state and am wondering if I should get a traditional LLC or a Series LLC and do I need to contact an attorney to set it up for me. Do I setup the LLC in the state that the property is in (NH) or my home state (RI)? I would appreciate any help as I am hoping to start on the right foot from the beginning. Thank you so much!
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@Noelle Maine Most folks will agree no need for any kind of LLC if you're financing. If you're paying cash go ahead and throw it in an LLC and worry about series on the next one. The LLC can be formed in any state you wish according to a quick google search. Had to refresh my memory on that one.
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@Noelle Maine Most folks will agree no need for any kind of LLC if you're financing. If you're paying cash go ahead and throw it in an LLC and worry about series on the next one. The LLC can be formed in any state you wish according to a quick google search. Had to refresh my memory on that one.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
People act as if an LLC is necessary to invest. The vast majority of investors will never be sued. The vast majority of investors own property in their own name. Even if you are sued, and if you are found guilty, the average payoff will be covered by your insurance.
LLCs are pushed by lawyers. Umbrella insurance is pushed by insurers. Don't use these as an excuse for not investing.
Real Estate Agent · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
6y
Hi Noelle,
I am a real estate agent and investor in New Hampshire. I work with a lot of investors and some have LLC's and some use their name. Some loans don't qualify when purchasing with a LLC depends on the loan. (Make sure you ask your loan officer)