Housekeeping/Cleaning Service Checklist

11 Replies

Hi guys!  I'm sure there are plenty out there, or plenty of posts about it, but I cannot seem to find much.  Can anyone link a post or an extensive housekeeping checklist that you provide your housekeeper/cleaning service?

Thank you!

Jeff

I googled it and found some in the past, but have never implemented one.

I have had good luck with just hiring competent cleaners who know what they are doing.

Originally posted by @Jeff Oberts :

Hi guys!  I'm sure there are plenty out there, or plenty of posts about it, but I cannot seem to find much.  Can anyone link a post or an extensive housekeeping checklist that you provide your housekeeper/cleaning service?

Thank you!

Jeff

My 3 most important items are:

1) Report damage w pics

2) Replenish / refill supplies for guests

3) Let my offshore VAs know if any supplies are low

Competent cleaners can handle the rest!

@Jeff Oberts

1. Have I heard from my housekeeper in the past 2 weeks?

2. Have the guests been leaving glowing reviews a little my houses being clean?

Yet again my terrible jokes don’t translate to a forum but that’s about what my checklist looks like.

Uncle Paul’s jokes will be better when he comes around

Another thing I did was drip some bacon grease on the front of the oven and see if they cleaned it.

A good way to tell if they are diligent.

Here is a cleaning offered by the Homeaway Community:

https://cms.homeaway.com/files...

Here is an article about hiring a Housekeeper that might be handy: Questions to ask when hiring a Housekeeper

The Homeaway Community has a lot of good resources like this and also a forum for owners & travelers. I don't spend much time on the forum any more....when I stopped it had become a big "bash VRBO" frenzy and I got tired of people using Homeaway's (VRBO's) forum to bash the company that created it.

Not to mention that I was one of the people involved with the creation of that forum and hated to see it deteriorate from a place where people could come together to share ideas, help each other and communicate directly with the staff at HA/VRBO to the negative space it had become.

But, their tools are still helpful!

Whenever we have an opportunity to buy in bulk, we do.  I got 96 rolls of tp, 2000 plastic forks and 1000 styro plates at a scholarship auction for about $40.  My housekeeper kind of has 2 speeds.  #1 is gung ho and get it done a.s.a.p. because nothing else is cleaned and available. #2 is no big hurry because there are 4+ other properties that are cleaned and available and can accommodate 15+ people.

She does it for free...

...and I get to sleep with her.

@Jeff Oberts

I have an extensive detailed checklist that winds up repeating itself for each similar room. I decided not to use it when I was told no one would want to work with me with such a list. But after I have had guests complaints with things like forgetting to empty trash, food left in the oven, no towels or soap in a bathroom I have reconsidered it, and starting over with a new crew. Someone I just tried out this week asked if I had a checklist. She went above and beyond: wrote next to almost every item and took photos of every room and area (like inside frig and microwave) when complete. I almost felt bad. 

I have asked that a quick video be sent when housekeeper enters property. This has actually come in handy when guests have said they left something but did not. I have found it protects the next guest and the housekeeper as I have had guests accuse the cleaning crew of taking items they 'know' they left. The video only takes about a minute and has helped a few times. I'm thinking about asking for one at completion also to help protect the housekeeper, and hold them accountable, if guests have complaints. 

Sorry for rambling. Hope it helps a bit.

Ok, you asked for it. 

I like the list Valarie had. 

1st of all, you need to decide how much you are willing to pay for cleaning services. 

If you want "White Glove" service, it will take time. And one person may not be enough.

It depends on how clean, is clean, and if a drip of grease on the oven is reason for a new employee.

There is no such thing as wanting it too clean. No such thing as expecting extra work than usual, for the same pay, if things are really nasty. Although,  no cut in pay if the tenants were clean and respectful. 

The list is as vital as any contract. Agree on the price per scope of work, and allow for extra pay when extra work is performed. 

Before and after pictures of each room, show the completed work, and if there is a damage, or cleaning charge to be sent to the tenants. Again, if Velma is scheduled to clean the house or room, and she is there to do the job, she needs full pay. Make it work!

I use the property of friends and partners often. I pay a bit for the maid, even though it's not needed. As we always leave it clean, the maid is happy, and she leaves us a nice report. 

Good luck!

@Jeff Oberts is you create a free account on TurnoverBnB.com you’ll find there are tons of public cleaning lists you can copy and use into our rental as well. I started there and then highly customized to fit the needs of my rentals.

In addition to the cleaning items I also include items to better review the guests: did they leave any mess? Take out excess trash? And/or basically follow the check out protocol? If not, it shows up in their review.

TurnoverBnB also allows cleaners to attach photos to the checklist, which is great for capturing folks handwritten notes in guestbooks.