Votes
Sarah Present
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Purchase of multiple buildings - Cabins, cottages best strategy

Sarah Present
  • Denver, CO
Posted Apr 27 2020, 13:52

I missed out on a few opportunities and I am looking to refine my strategy for future, as the specifics don't align perfectly for this scenario very often.  We look for multiple (think cabins cottages) properties to rent out for vacation rentals.  The ideal is, near or on a lake, in mountain town (we are in colorado) and can be rented together for family reunions, events. Or separately.  The location does well and is basically a given that with rocky mountain national park nearby and a lot of other outdoor activities - everything rents out all summer and a few months on each end, no problem.  So when i've seen something remotely feasible financially - someone else usually gets it first.  

The questions I want to answer for future reference - do you offer before you see it?  I know that its done that way for a lot of investor properties but with a group of buildings and a high down payment / total price, it seems riskier.  However, ultimately you have the same "outs"...    

The last one I believe I should have done this, as the buildings were dated back to the 1930's and such, however they were all currently renting and had a lot of great return.  So they weren't being sold because of excessive neglect, the owners were ready to retire and had kept them up functionally, just maybe not aesthetically.  

The other question reverts to financing.  I can't make necessarily a quick offer - i am not a cash buyer, I would be going through a 504 small business loan - which I have not done before.  I am reading through to get my ducks in a row on this but does anyone have experience with these on buying a commercial/residential property like this?  Would love any and all feedback on these concepts. 

thanks so much

Loading replies...