I recently purchased a new property that I was planning to make available on Airbnb for May 1. Recognizing that the first 30 days of an Airbnb listing are pretty critical for determining Airbnb search rankings, I'm trying to decide between getting my listing up now, even if it can't be rented or reviewed for the first 30 days because of COVID-19, or waiting until June when my local board of supervisors is likely to re-open STVRs. It seems like a no-brainer to try to start collecting bookings given the present climate on STVRs, but I don't know how critical the activity on a property during the first 30 days really is for future rankings on Airbnb. I don't want to be short-sighted. I can afford to wait if that's what's going to be best for the long-term. Thoughts?
Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
6y
@Robert M. since the end game is getting rentals and rent $$ I would list and start getting bookings for the future dates that you have open. The ratings will come as you get review and as you accept reservations. You can't get money, ratings or reviews if you're not actually out there on the market. So, my advise would be: don't try to "time the market". If your rental is ready for bookings, go out there and get them. Good luck!
I recently purchased a new property that I was planning to make available on Airbnb for May 1. Recognizing that the first 30 days of an Airbnb listing are pretty critical for determining Airbnb search rankings, I'm trying to decide between getting my listing up now, even if it can't be rented or reviewed for the first 30 days because of COVID-19, or waiting until June when my local board of supervisors is likely to re-open STVRs. It seems like a no-brainer to try to start collecting bookings given the present climate on STVRs, but I don't know how critical the activity on a property during the first 30 days really is for future rankings on Airbnb. I don't want to be short-sighted. I can afford to wait if that's what's going to be best for the long-term. Thoughts?
I would get it up and going and get some reviews in on it. You can still rent during this time period. Just be wise with what you are trying to do. Good luck!
Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
6y
@Robert M. since the end game is getting rentals and rent $$ I would list and start getting bookings for the future dates that you have open. The ratings will come as you get review and as you accept reservations. You can't get money, ratings or reviews if you're not actually out there on the market. So, my advise would be: don't try to "time the market". If your rental is ready for bookings, go out there and get them. Good luck!
Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Robert M. Good question and congrats on your new property! In the end, you would be speculating on the search engine algorithms by trying to time it, which is going to be a no-win situation in my opinion. Your best bet, just like the others have mentioned, is to get it out there and start getting views on your listing now and hopefully some future bookings locked in. It's your pricing, reviews, listing copy, and just overall experience you are going to provide to your guests that will end up dictating where you end up in the search rankings for the long term so don't worry about timing this. Just get out there and start your business! : )
Thanks for the feedback here everyone. Seems prudent to go ahead and list. As I’ve thought about it, I’d imagine Airbnb will compare my current performance against other properties’ current performance, which may be just the same as comparing the two in a better market. The timing is what it is! Appreciate the responses and collective wisdom.