Financing houses to short term rental operators?

Financing houses to short term rental operators?

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Has anyone had any positive results from financing properties to people that own short term rentals? If I financed a property I would want more than the market rent rate or why would I lose my asset and future appreciation? My thoughts were if STR Operators are really tearing it up like they say they are maybe that would be a good fit for them and for me. If I'm dreaming please tell me so. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated! :-)

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Robert GilstrapPro Member
Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
5y

I just refinanced 6 properties in th elast 2 months and I can tell you I had a 100 places I could have gone to for funding. If you mean new purchases , OK I get that and you see 20-25% but remember that of LTV. I can get a loan all day long with zero out of pocket depending on the deal I find.

Not trying to dissuade you, just saying its much easier than you think unless you are only going after complete newbies who will agree to anything and pay anything.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    You are dreaming.  I'm telling you so.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    You are dreaming.  I'm telling you so.

    That was fast Paul! :-) Would you be so kind as to elaborate?

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    They will get lower cost financing.  Perhaps you can do something like Shark Tank.  Guy says "I will lend you XXX amount of money but I want YYY cut of rent until the loan is paid for"

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    They will get lower cost financing.  Perhaps you can do something like Shark Tank.  Guy says "I will lend you XXX amount of money but I want YYY cut of rent until the loan is paid for"

     You are so right they can get a better loan financing through a bank. Not everyone can get a bank loan though. 

  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    5y

    There are many types of lenders out there. Traditional banks offer the lowest APR (3-5% right now depending on factors, but usually over 4% for investment properties) but require the most (income qualifications, W2, steady income, etc.). If someone can't qualify, the borrower simply moves to the next tier of lenders who require less, but have higher APR's, maybe 2-4% higher (currently 6-8%). If they can't qualify for those, then they move onto people like you who require the least amount of effort/qualification, but charge up to 10% or more APR. So yes, there will be a few, desperate people who want to take a loan from you at a rate of 10% perhaps, but usually they only do it for a year or so until they can secure a lower rate from a more secure institution.

    But keep in mind these people are being rejected from other sources of lower rate's for good reasons. It's incredibly easy to get a 6-8% loan these days for an STR. You just minimally qualify with showing a little data on market rates.

  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    @Joe S. Many STR operators are in fact "tearing it up like they say" but that doesn't make them stupid. If you are selling money (and as a lender that is your product) then you need to be like any other competitor in the marketplace and be able to compete for that business. Have better terms, lower interest rate, easier to business with, faster funding, lower fees, etc.

    You have to differentiate just like we all do. There are a million places to borrow money from right now and all at low interest rates. If you want to make money lending then figure out your niche. what can you do better, cheaper, faster than the other guy. 

    Once you figure it out give me a call and I'll borrow from you (maybe). 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    There are many types of lenders out there. Traditional banks offer the lowest APR (3-5% right now depending on factors, but usually over 4% for investment properties) but require the most (income qualifications, W2, steady income, etc.). If someone can't qualify, the borrower simply moves to the next tier of lenders who require less, but have higher APR's, maybe 2-4% higher (currently 6-8%). If they can't qualify for those, then they move onto people like you who require the least amount of effort/qualification, but charge up to 10% or more APR. So yes, there will be a few, desperate people who want to take a loan from you at a rate of 10% perhaps, but usually they only do it for a year or so until they can secure a lower rate from a more secure institution.

    But keep in mind these people are being rejected from other sources of lower rate's for good reasons. It's incredibly easy to get a 6-8% loan these days for an STR. You just minimally qualify with showing a little data on market rates.

     Have you personally received funding lately from a traditional lender of any kind? Have you looked to see what kind of down payments they are requiring? I understand that what I suggested it’s not for everybody, but I do believe that it is harder for people to get loans being self-employed than people think. The down payments alone has kept some people from being able to Qualify. 
    Thanks again for the insight.

  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    I just refinanced 6 properties in th elast 2 months and I can tell you I had a 100 places I could have gone to for funding. If you mean new purchases , OK I get that and you see 20-25% but remember that of LTV. I can get a loan all day long with zero out of pocket depending on the deal I find.

    Not trying to dissuade you, just saying its much easier than you think unless you are only going after complete newbies who will agree to anything and pay anything.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Robert Gilstrap:

    I just refinanced 6 properties in th elast 2 months and I can tell you I had a 100 places I could have gone to for funding. If you mean new purchases , OK I get that and you see 20-25% but remember that of LTV. I can get a loan all day long with zero out of pocket depending on the deal I find.

    Not trying to dissuade you, just saying its much easier than you think unless you are only going after complete newbies who will agree to anything and pay anything.

    Fair enough. Congratulations for being in such an amazing stage of your career that you can finance whatever you want. That is an amazing accomplishment. :-) 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    This is not something I would do (pay more for owner financing).  You still have the right to foreclose if they don't make mortgage payments.  They are taking the all the risk with property improvements as well as the risk of depreciation.  So the real question is why would anyone agree to pay more if they are able to get traditional financing? 

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Joe S.

    I just signed 10% down at 2.75% yesterday there is no say you can beat that.

    What kind of properties are you looking to sell exactly? I find it hard to believe that anyone has properties laying around that they'd rather owner finance to an STR operator than do whatever the property was already doing.

    Am I not understanding something or does this thread make no sense?

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    @Joe S.

    I just signed 10% down at 2.75% yesterday there is no say you can beat that.

    What kind of properties are you looking to sell exactly? I find it hard to believe that anyone has properties laying around that they'd rather owner finance to an STR operator than do whatever the property was already doing.

    Am I not understanding something or does this thread make no sense?

    If it is as easy to get a loan as you and the other posters have pointed out then I really do not see a market for what I was thinking of. I did not realize people could put down as little as 10% on investment loans and get that kind of interest rate. 

    Thanks for commenting on my post.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    I do ageee that most people doing this can get a regular loan.

    However I do their could be people who would jump at this that might not have perfect credit and are younger and more inexperienced.

    That would be why you could charge a higher interest rate because this would be a higher risk to you.

    If you vet the person and vet the property than I could see a market for this. Like any higher risk investment you have to be prepared to take the property back through foreclosure.

    One group of people that might be interested would be anyone left doing arbitrage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.