• Rental Property Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
Investing in Joshua tree

Fabian Martinez
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Posted Nov 24 2020, 09:12

Love love tiny home movement Quick inquiries do you need to purchase a lot/land to place a tiny home or camper in Joshua tree purpose utilizing as a short rental? Do you need a permit for such minimal square footage, solar panels, water barrel, septic tanks? What is pros and cons and restrictions in San Bernardino county?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Oct 5 2021, 17:18
Originally posted by @Ryan Moyer:
Originally posted by @Jason Kudo:

Someone has to explain this market to me.  Everyone raves about how awesome it's been for the last year+, but when I look at listings on AirBnB/VRBO their calendars are all bare even in what I think is supposed to be high season there.

Mind clarifying what you think is supposed to be high season there?

Hi Jason, I've heard winter for Joshua Tree.  Though that isn't with a ton of research admittedly, just what a few of the investors had mentioned in one of the Joshua Tree threads here, so certainly possible I am wrong about that.

In general, as the temperature cools, the busier it gets. JT generally comes alive with out-of-towners during the Joshua Tree Music Festival which is this weekend this year and ramps up into the Winter and Spring. What kind of properties are you looking at on AirBnb?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied Oct 5 2021, 21:13

Someone has to explain this market to me.  Everyone raves about how awesome it's been for the last year+, but when I look at listings on AirBnB/VRBO their calendars are all bare even in what I think is supposed to be high season there.

Mind clarifying what you think is supposed to be high season there?

Hi Jason, I've heard winter for Joshua Tree.  Though that isn't with a ton of research admittedly, just what a few of the investors had mentioned in one of the Joshua Tree threads here, so certainly possible I am wrong about that.

In general, as the temperature cools, the busier it gets. JT generally comes alive with out-of-towners during the Joshua Tree Music Festival which is this weekend this year and ramps up into the Winter and Spring. What kind of properties are you looking at on AirBnb?

Are you a realtor there or investor?  DM me please.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied Oct 6 2021, 08:54

I have to assume Joshua Tree is getting saturated - I grew up in CA and although we loved visiting Joshua Tree it wasn't that massive a vacation / weekend draw. I've talked to people all over the country and seems like everyone and their mother is under contract for a STR there. Same story with Gatlinburg. Would love to hear from local, long term STR operators in Gatlinburg & Joshua Tree whether they've had a decrease in bookings in the last 2 years since there's been such massive internet interest in investing there and lots of new listings coming online.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic and there's enough business for everyone. I can't help thinking of the caveat on mutual funds : Past results are no indication of future returns :).