Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ayoub
Votes |
Airbnb Luxe and Plus

Matt Ayoub
Posted Dec 31 2020, 18:34

Hi everyone. I have a successful 4 bed single family home STR with pool, hot tub, and meditation gardens in los cabos Mexico. I've been fortunate to achieve 50+ reviews on Airbnb averaging 4.96 with similar stats on VRBO. Over the past 4 years I've raised my average rate from about $450 to almost $700 / night, almost fully booked in the prime Nov - May months. We go far to exceed guest expectations and offer many amenities. I am wondering whether it would be beneficial to apply for a luxe or plus "certification" in terms of attracting more guests or raising my rates / profitability further? Does the forum have experience taking a unit in this direction from a marketing / branding experience? Any thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
Votes |

I can't see why it would be a negative. Just like how superhost raises your status and shows you higher in the rankings. It may make people expect a higher level of service? But it sounds like you already provide that!

Id be interested to know how you ended up owning a property in Mexico. I travel there for my jacket business and I'm fluent in spanish so I've considered owning property as well. I imagine it's dirt cheap to purchase a nice place but I imagine finding good help is very difficult. Any advice? 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Futalan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • La Quinta, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • La Quinta, CA
Replied Jan 1 2021, 11:16

@Matt Ayoub

I have an STR on the Airbnb plus program. If you are already crushing it with you normal listing, it might not be as advantageous to do the plus program. You might get increased views and a nice listing page but the requirements to join plus have changed where they may only allow you to list exclusively with Airbnb and there is a higher % fee you pay to Airbnb (I think like 8% if I remember). Also you lose a lot of control with pictures and they require you to work with interior designers etc which may mean more money out of pocket. I was fortunate enough to list with them before all these changes happened.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 1 2021, 11:30

I wouldn't want to agree to list my property exclusively on one site. 

I wouldn't change anything if your already doing well with what you have.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ayoub
Votes |
Replied Jan 1 2021, 19:02

Thanks everyone for their responses. @Scott K. there can be great values but not necessarily dirt cheap. Really depends what you are looking for and whether you are willing to live in different types of cities or neighborhoods. My place with its views and ocean proximity would have been 10x the price in a town like San Diego. But It wasn’t cheap and financing is hard to come by.

Lots of articles on how to buy in Mexico including use of an agent or notary. I found it very easy and straightforward once I had done my research and found some trustworthy local contacts.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 19 2022, 11:49

Hey @Matt Ayoub, curious if you ended up going to "pro" or "luxe"? What was the outcome of this inquiry?