Do you allow real (wood) fires in fireplaces at STRs?

Do you allow real (wood) fires in fireplaces at STRs?

Dave StokleyBusiness Member
Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 705 posts · 799 votes

In the process of purchasing a log-cabin in a National Park that has several nice fireplaces. Curious whether people allow fires, and also whether they provide firewood. 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
5y

@Dave Stokley people who are renting a rustic cabin with wood fireplaces are going to expect to be able to use them. Just keep the they chimney cleaned and well maintained. Fires are the result of lack of maintenance more than misuse. Also be aware the type of wood you burn will affect how clean it burns. This could be a good reason to provide wood so you control what get's burned.

@Paul Sandhu some pallets have insect treatment that release toxic chemicals when burned and they are stamped MB, so I wouldn't stand too close to the fire if they are burning that type of pallet.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    We allow wood fires.  Our cabins with real wood-burning fireplaces are very popular.  We typically provide a small bundle of firewood.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I have one cabin with a real fireplace and I do provide firewood through the wood burning season.  The reason I provide it is because this cabin is up on a knob off of Cove Mtn overlooking the valley.  Like most cabins with a view like this one has, you have some steep roads to get to it.  If we get snow or ice my guests may get stuck up there an extra day.  If they lost power in a storm they would not have heat without the fireplace.  I would hate for that to happen so I just provide the firewood.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    No indoor fires.  I built several metal outdoor firepits for my larger places and stock them with wood.  Some tenants of mine also bring in truck loads of pallets to burn.  It's a 4'x4' pit so the pallets fit in there pretty good.  The fire department got called out there last month.  I read about it in the newspaper.  "False alarm to a controlled burn."  They told the tenants to not let the fire get too big.  It was probably 6' tall.  Pretty sure beer was involved.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    Nope. Old house with a beautiful fireplace, but I just did not want the risk. So I put in an electric heat unit with fake flames. Looks pretty nice and provides heat too. Beer/spirits will always be involved in a vacation rental situation, so too much to go wrong. Plus one more thing to clean.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    If you want to cut down on actual wood fires, consider purchasing fire logs.

    https://www.amazon.com/Durafla...

    I use a brand that actually crackles so it sounds more like a fire. They don't make any mess, are easy/safe to store in a closet, and burn for a couple hours which is more than enough. The small amount of ash can be sucked up by a cleaner using a vacuum.

    Buy them in bulk for additional savings. I think I spend less than $2 a log.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    Had a nice flagstone firepit in the back yard as well. It's also gone......

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Yes I do and I provide the wood for the fireplace. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Dave Stokley people who are renting a rustic cabin with wood fireplaces are going to expect to be able to use them. Just keep the they chimney cleaned and well maintained. Fires are the result of lack of maintenance more than misuse. Also be aware the type of wood you burn will affect how clean it burns. This could be a good reason to provide wood so you control what get's burned.

    @Paul Sandhu some pallets have insect treatment that release toxic chemicals when burned and they are stamped MB, so I wouldn't stand too close to the fire if they are burning that type of pallet.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clayton, GA · Member since 2020 · 186 posts · 152 votes
    5y

    The amount of people that come to get a wood fire going and then sit in the hot tube is really high. I think even more so during the fall. I don't provide wood, but i give folks info on where to buy it. I know most in Oct-Dec are getting a wood fire going. 

  • Specialist · Joplin, MO · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 58 votes
    5y

    It would be a good idea to make sure it's covered under your insurance policy.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Dave Stokley. I don’t. I had a few propane I converted them to electric. Amazing move

  • Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    @Luke Carl Any recommendation on an electric fireplace model?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.