What is the next short term rental market ?

25 Replies

I really like Broken Bow and anything on the Gulf coast of Texas due to its location not being far from major cities in TX. Seems like an influx of people moving in and those people will want a place for a weekend get-a-way.

Orlando market has always been and continues to be one of the most consistent markets for STR. Global recognition, weather, close to beaches, major airport(rental cars), easily accessible to drive to for much of U.S., still affordable, real estate friendly for investors, within a couple of hours of 3 major cruise ship hubs and on and on!

@Fang Underhill the short term rental market is booming in many places, Colorado being one of them. Denver is doing extremely well, so are mountain towns. Are you asking which places haven't gained much traction yet and expect to?

Any consideration to going abroad?  Demand is still high, but the challenges to get into the space open yield to  superior investment when well managed.

Originally posted by @Joshua Strickland :

I really like Broken Bow and anything on the Gulf coast of Texas due to its location not being far from major cities in TX. Seems like an influx of people moving in and those people will want a place for a weekend get-a-way.

I am looking at those two locations too. 

Originally posted by @Grace Wang :

@Fang Underhill the short term rental market is booming in many places, Colorado being one of them. Denver is doing extremely well, so are mountain towns. Are you asking which places haven't gained much traction yet and expect to?

Thank you Grace for your message. We looked at Colorado too but there is negative cash flow there.:( 

Originally posted by @Fang Underhill :
Originally posted by @William Robison:

Any consideration to going abroad?  Demand is still high, but the challenges to get into the space open yield to  superior investment when well managed.

Hi, William, Have not thought about aboard yet. 

Some returns are doing very well, especially compared to similar properties in the USA.  Imagine a $8M house on the beach in Southern California?  Same thing can be bought for $2M in Costa Rica.  Same view.  Amazing property with a pool.  

Several price points, but the luxury market is performing amazingly well.  The short term rentals on luxury are exceeding 60% occupancy in many cases, with gross yield in the 20 percent range.  

Certainly, this same market has condos that are minutes walk to the beach that sell for $250k, rent extremely well, and have occupancy in the 50% range, sometimes better.  But at a modest $250k, its quick to hit very competitive net yields.

Largely this is a function of an inefficient market. Its tough to find an MLS or similar to scour listings. This and other challenges just talk people out of the effort.

Now, add on the changing climate of America cities.  Large cities have populations exiting, permanently.  Moving to places they can work on Zoom.  This influx has many Expat communities witnessing growing demand.  Inventories exist because so many could not travel, but that will change over time.  

I think this winter 2021/2022 will see a boom in international real estate.  This will impact short term rentals and 2nd home markets.

For me, find a deal.  Making yet another trip in a couple of weeks to review opportunity.  Also working on my credentials in Costa Rica.  Should be complete soon.

Coastal cities, large metropolitan cities, & cities where people tend to go during winter months to snowboard and ski are all great options. If you are looking outside the US you have Cancun, Cabo, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Bali, & Phuket are all great. I forgot to add that Bali and Phuket are great when travel has resumed. 

Originally posted by @Troy Jones :

Coastal cities, large metropolitan cities, & cities where people tend to go during winter months to snowboard and ski are all great options. If you are looking outside the US you have Cancun, Cabo, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Bali, & Phuket are all great. I forgot to add that Bali and Phuket are great when travel has resumed. 

Are you familiar with purchasing RE in Bali? Last time I checked they had land leases?

@Steven Wilson There are ways around everything it's all about the visa you have issued to you which gives you different abilities. Also, you do not even have to buy a house to make money on short-term rentals. Many homeowners lease out the property to someone for 5+ Years which gives you the ability to sublease as a short-term rental or even a long-term rental. 

Originally posted by @Troy Jones :

@Steven Wilson There are ways around everything it's all about the visa you have issued to you which gives you different abilities. Also, you do not even have to buy a house to make money on short-term rentals. Many homeowners lease out the property to someone for 5+ Years which gives you the ability to sublease as a short-term rental or even a long-term rental. 

Thats great to know! Id love to know more about this.

@Steven Wilson All over Thailand and Bali they have it set up that way. Even in Thailand as a foreigner, you can have a 99 year lease on a property meaning they will allow you to have ownership of it for 99 years after that I do not know what happens. If you have citizenship or a kitas typically you are then viewed as a partial citizen. You need none of that in order to make money off Airbnb. In Bali for instance you'll find on the FB marketplaces many times a Villa owner looking to rent their villa out for 10-20K USD for 5-10 years and typically you pay it up front and assume all responsibility for that property during that time frame. Most turn around and either re-lease it to people looking for a rental or they throw it on airbnb. 

Some of my favorite travel gems: 

Hocking Hills, OH

Brown County, Bloomington, IN

Traverse City-Petoskey, northern MI

Robinsville, NC

Asheville, NC

Nashville, TN