Rival to Airbnb “Dtravel” launches

16 Replies

Their website looks pretty basic, like something I could build on Wix. Their launch was just announced yesterday. They have zero share of the market. This is an idea, not a business poised to compete with the big boys.

It's like watching a YouTube video of a 15-year-old singing a cool song in their bedroom, then asking your friends if you think she'll surpass Whitney Houston.

For what it's worth.

Have you taken a look at Houfy.com, It has been around for a couple of years.  it is free to list for host and free for guests to use. You can use you airbnb or vrbo listing info to set it up. Take payment with credit card through Stripe or Square or take payments directly how ever you like. Here is the link to  my listings if you want to take a look.

www.Houfy.com/l/villagershomestyle

Originally posted by @Lisa Graesser :

Have you taken a look at Houfy.com, It has been around for a couple of years.  it is free to list for host and free for guests to use. You can use you airbnb or vrbo listing info to set it up. Take payment with credit card through Stripe or Square or take payments directly how ever you like. Here is the link to  my listings if you want to take a look.

How many bookings do you get annually?

What percentage is that of your total rentals? 

Airbnb and Vrbo aren't getting displaced anytime soon. 

Someone would have to spend a ton on advertising to put a dent in the market share.

@Joshua Strickland this is an interesting concept. It is a peer to peer approach, so it eliminates self interest of the platform and indicates more of a user driven approach to management. That could have major benefits as hosts continue to feel that AirBNB is only out for the guests. Of course the reason AirBNB focuses on guests is because they know that delivering guests will naturally attract hosts. As others in the thread commented, you will post your property where the guests are going. 

Looking at their website, they are not even looking for guests yet so this is still in the early launch stages. 

I like the blockchain tie in using a crypto currency to pay and win rewards for guests. Lower fees are good for hosts and guests. It is a promising concept, but I can't see wasting time on this platform until it has some user base. They will need to buy guests and hosts early on like every other platform has had to do. That means their cash burn is going to be crazy if they want to get this off the ground. With AirBNB going public, this is the perfect time for a startup to attempt disruption. Any public company focuses on share holders, so that means Airbnb will only increase fees and focus on profitability. One way to make guests and hosts mad is profit based policies, so that opens the door.

@John Underwood   from January 2021-June 2021 I have a total of 51 bookings, (37 VRBO and 14 Houfy) Most of my Houfy bookings are repeat guests or those that I directed to my Houfy link through facebook groups, local listing sites or zillow. I have had 2 direct bookings from Houfy. There are more and more listing added everyday, so it is catching on. I am not looking to replace VRBO as I have had nothing but great experiences with them. But it is nice to take direct bookings also, that not only save me some money, but also saves the guest money and gives them other options.

So I read the whitepaper and there are a few things that had me wondering. One is that everything is tied to the "economic goals of the community". What does that mean? My economic goals will be different than others.

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

@Joshua Strickland this is an interesting concept. It is a peer to peer approach, so it eliminates self interest of the platform and indicates more of a user driven approach to management. That could have major benefits as hosts continue to feel that AirBNB is only out for the guests. Of course the reason AirBNB focuses on guests is because they know that delivering guests will naturally attract hosts. As others in the thread commented, you will post your property where the guests are going. 

Looking at their website, they are not even looking for guests yet so this is still in the early launch stages. 

I like the blockchain tie in using a crypto currency to pay and win rewards for guests. Lower fees are good for hosts and guests. It is a promising concept, but I can't see wasting time on this platform until it has some user base. They will need to buy guests and hosts early on like every other platform has had to do. That means their cash burn is going to be crazy if they want to get this off the ground. With AirBNB going public, this is the perfect time for a startup to attempt disruption. Any public company focuses on share holders, so that means Airbnb will only increase fees and focus on profitability. One way to make guests and hosts mad is profit based policies, so that opens the door.

NO COVER FOR LADIES!

They offer benefits to women in hopes of attracting men. REALTORS get listings in hopes of attracting buyers. AirBnB brings renters hoping to attract hosts.

The best time to invest in an up-coming neighborhood? When it's 20% improved so you can get in cheap and benefit from the up-swing. I wouldn't throw money down on an up-coming AirBnB competitor until they're showing some traction in the market.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

NO COVER FOR LADIES!

They offer benefits to women in hopes of attracting men. REALTORS get listings in hopes of attracting buyers. AirBnB brings renters hoping to attract hosts.

The best time to invest in an up-coming neighborhood? When it's 20% improved so you can get in cheap and benefit from the up-swing. I wouldn't throw money down on an up-coming AirBnB competitor until they're showing some traction in the market.

Someone invested $5M in the startup according to their website. I agree though, I prefer to see some traction before I will jump on board with something new. Of course in the early days of AIrBNB, the same argument could have been made. I am sure someone said, how will you compete with thousands of established hotels and no hosts or guests? 

It is too speculative for me to invest in, but if I can list for free, I may try it out for the heck of it.