Asking a near by Airbnb for help?

15 Replies

I am in the process of closing on 20 acres in Northwest Arkansas. I plan on developing the land into 4-5 tent campsites and two cabins, and renting them on Airbnb. There are a bunch of Airbnbs nearby. About 5 miles from my land are 6-7 ABnB/STR destinations within 2 miles of each other. I have my construction team in place but am having a hard time finding property managers, cleaners, landscapers, etc. I am at the point where I may just drive over to a few of the nearby ABnBs and ask for references. As business-owners, would you all take kindly to a future competitors asking for help? I am not afraid of hearing "no", but I would hate to burn bridges. All opinions are welcome!

I've had strangers ask me for advice, just like you. I give them the wrong advice. 12 months later they are out of the STR business in my town. Has happened at least 3 times. Some even ask me to buy their houses. I decline.

You're better off asking on here, imo.

I try to screw my competition. You're not my competition.

I don't live at my Vrbo so if you drove over to it you wouldn't likely find me.

You could send them a message on vrbo or Airbnb.

If you self manage you wouldn't need to find a PM and could save 30% of your gross income that you would otherwise pay them.

Search nearby listings in your geographic area and message every host. Tell them what you are doing and how they find and handle cleaners, landscapers, etc. 
That said, you’re creating only 7 income properties on 20 acres and it sounds like you thought it through already. How did you come up with your game plan? Whatever and whoever helped shape your idea is who you want to turn to now. 
Good luck!

Hi Paul, We live in NWA and have found it to be a super-supportive community for entrepreneurs. I wouldn't hesitate to ask others in the area what they are doing.  Yes, there are lots of Airbnb's (we have one ourselves), but there's also MORE than enough business to go around for people who are running an excellent business and serving their clientele well. I would ask multiple owners to get several referrals that you could interview more closely.  We are looking to expand our Airbnb portfolio as well and would love to connect if you'd like to talk shop in person!

Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu :

I've had strangers ask me for advice, just like you. I give them the wrong advice. 12 months later they are out of the STR business in my town. Has happened at least 3 times. Some even ask me to buy their houses. I decline.

You're better off asking on here, imo.

I try to screw my competition. You're not my competition.

Wow that's sad, hopefully you never find yourself in need of help or a partnership because what goes around comes around.

Originally posted by @Jimmy Woodard :

Angi/Homeadvisor and Google are your best friends here as well @Paul Ellerbusch

Speaking from the Contractor side of things.....beware of Home Advisor. They pressure Contractors into signing up with promises of leads for $40....they don't vet the Contractors much if at all. The poor contractor gets 20 referrals and a bill for $800. Most of the people he calls don't know what he's talking about. A few get a bid, but are shopping for lowball prices and look elsewhere. True story.

Not as sure about Angies, I heard they were more reputable, but I would not trust any of these site to provide you with a guaranteed good contractor. You still have to do your own homework....

You can make a round and say hi, if they seem friendly ask on a case-by-case basis. Asking here won't help -you need local people. I run str's in Lake Tahoe and LA. In Tahoe I've even helped neighbors head in the right direction to get their permit. I want to help people get started in a business I feel passionate about. Now I have neighbors who call me if they see issues at my property, rather than the sheriff. Anyone successful should be helpful IMO. Its a small world and life is too short to be a jerk. All respect to jerks!

I found one of my cleaners because I stopped and talked to her one day during a clean at a competitor's listing. I'd seen her there multiple times and I knew this listing got good reviews for cleanliness. Definitely worth a shot.