Air BnB vs VRBO Host Cancellation Penalty

8 Replies

Hi everyone!

I had some calendar sync issues between VRBO and AirBnB which unfortunately led to a double booking. Due to that I need to cancel one of the bookings and apologize to the guests. I know both platforms will penalize me for cancelling... I am hoping to get feedback on which penalty is less aggressive. AirBnB probably brings me slightly more bookings than VRBO for context but I'm not sure how much that should be taken into consideration.

Thank you!

Victoria 

Figure out who booked first and then call the platform that the second guest booked through.  Let them know that their was a calendar sync issue and that is how the second person was able to book and that you would like the platform to cancel the booking and waive the penalty since it was not your fault.  We did this with VRBO and they were great.  We have not done this on Airbnb but I would call them if that is who you want to have cancelled and see what they will do.  Since we starting using a channel manager we have not had any more double bookings.

@Ken Boone unfortunately it wasn't their (AirBnB's) fault, it was mine when I had synced IGMS I didn't realize it got rid of the calendar sync via VRBO and AirBnB directly. Which channel manger do you use? maybe it's more user friendly. Thanks for the help here (newbie if you can't tell)

@Victoria Pena I had this exact problem a while back. I determined that it was AIR not syncing correctly. But they were absolutely not helpful. I corrected it by adding VRBO again as a sync import and left the first one so now they have 2 VRBO accounts imported. That has worked for a few months now.

You're correct that they will penalize a host for cancelling - AIR is worse than VRBO. But you don't have to cancel....call the one that had the second booking and explain what happened. They can cancel from their end, or get the guest to cancel, without causing you any penalty. Why should you have to lose $$ or a good reputation for something that wasn't your fault....?

My 3rd option would be canceling a reservation.

2nd option would be getting one of the 2 guests to cancel. Apologize and offer a discount on another stay or see if you can move the reservation. 

1st option get Vrbo or Airbnb to cancel their reservation. See which one will work with you.

See if you can get a guest to cancel. Just explain what happened. Second option would be cancel with VRBO. Their site is buggy and their app is junk but their customer service is a billion times better.

Originally posted by @Victoria Pena :

@Ken Boone unfortunately it wasn't their (AirBnB's) fault, it was mine when I had synced IGMS I didn't realize it got rid of the calendar sync via VRBO and AirBnB directly. Which channel manger do you use? maybe it's more user friendly. Thanks for the help here (newbie if you can't tell)

I am currently using YourPorter.  It does everything I need but their support is awful.

I just did this on Sunday, same day guest was to check in. Before I called him, my cleaner called all of her owners to seek an alternative place. I checked around too. Nothing. I explained to him and he obviously wasn’t happy but if your honest, sincere and lucky, guest will cancel. Ask for the Venmo account and send them a few bucks for their help. I told him truthfully that Airbnb is punitive with hosts.