Airbnb Property Manager

17 Replies

Hi there! My husband and I are in the process of setting up our first airbnb property in Saratoga Springs, NY! Looking for a reliable property manager if anyone knows of anyone in the area. Also wondering about payment. I know typically property managers receive between 8-12% of the monthly rental income and I'm wondering if that is the same rule of thumb for airbnbs. 

Originally posted by @Luke Carl :
This question is asked here 40 times a day and the answer is always the same. You are the manager. Put it on VRBO and let it rip.

I concur!

Easy to manage from your phone.

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

Thank you! I am going to be out of state so I need someone on call you see. I plan on doing all the admin and booking stuff but I'm not physically gonna be around. 

Originally posted by @Anna Phillips :

Thank you! I am going to be out of state so I need someone on call you see. I plan on doing all the admin and booking stuff but I'm not physically gonna be around.

what you're describing is a housekeeper. We are all out of state.

@Anna Phillips I agree with everyone else. Typical long term rental property managers will normally collect that amount of 8-12% but for short term rentals it is a lottttt higher because they are actively managing it on a more daily basis, dealing with turnover, cleaners, etc. and can be anywhere from 20-30% or more. 

So that is a lot off of your profits compared to a long term rental. So it makes more sense to self manage or maybe find someone in house like family or friend that may want some work. 

Alrighty, thanks for the input. I have a few friends in the area who may want to assume the tasks I'm aiming to have overseen. Also having some luck just connecting with local airbnb hosts.

The person that takes a urination in your toilet is your property manager.

Originally posted by @Imeh Esen :

@William Leah

Please can you share the smart features you use on your Airbnb?

I have a wifi camera on the entry/driveway of each home (used to be ARLO, now WYZE) A wifi connected front door lock, Honeywell wifi thermostats, PHYN plus smart water device and leak sensors near the boiler. WYZE also has a number of other quality reasonably priced sensors for doors and windows. I am going to add window sensors in one home where we sometimes have an issue of freezing the AC compressor because they run the AC while the windows are open upstairs. I highly recommend the PHYN device. It will automatically shut off the water if you have a potentially catastrophic leak. It detects if your pipes are on the verge of freezing and I have had it detect leaking toilets. Most insurance companies will provide a monthy premium discount for the device

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units
Originally posted by @Anna Phillips :

Hi there! My husband and I are in the process of setting up our first airbnb property in Saratoga Springs, NY! Looking for a reliable property manager if anyone knows of anyone in the area. Also wondering about payment. I know typically property managers receive between 8-12% of the monthly rental income and I'm wondering if that is the same rule of thumb for airbnbs. 

Hi Anna,

Congrats! Good for you guys.

I agree with Luke and John. Bigger Pockets has a ton of info on STR remote self managing, and it's all about setting up the process. All that you need is a smart phone and a few apps.

Find a good cleaner, they are a godsend to you business. Add a good handyman, and you're 95% there.

The ease of the above, combined with an approx 25% property management fee, should make your decision pretty easy.

As an aside Luke's wife @Avery Carl just released an excellent book on STR's through bigger pockets. She goes into details on exactly what to do. The two of them have created a mini empire with STR's, so you know their advice is rock solid.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

John 

@Anna Phillips Check with Evolve …. They are in the STR PM space and I'm starting with them personally. They charge 10% and 2% of that fee goes to credit card processing fees. They handle the cleaning contracts, scheduling, photos (and they pay a professional photographer). I'm busy….I don't want to be a property manager. I travel and am not always available to answer the phone. They are. I'm more than happy to pay 10% to have freedom, which is what this process is supposed to be about….not just financial freedom but freedom in a multitude of ways. Speak to Madeline at Evolve (720-305-9091) and give her my name (

Susan Crawford in Hillsborough, NC) They also post on 6 sites for you, optimize it, handle scheduling and payments as well as payments of taxes and coordination of cleaning between guests. I know other STR owners that are working with them as well and have been very pleased with their service. I have found them responsive and super helpful, especially for a newbie in this world like me.

As others have mentioned, it's quite easy to self manage once you set up your systems. Why don't you at least give that a try before resorting to a PM? For one, no PM is going to be on top of things as much as you will be. Spend a week interviewing cleaners in the area and also see if you can strike up a relationship with a handyman in the area. 

After factoring in PM fee's I hardly find STR makes sense in a lot of area. Maybe I'm wrong though.