Who is buying Secondary Homes/ STRs in this market? If so, where?

37 Replies

Hi BP,

Curious as to where you are buying your short term and Vacation rentals / secondary homes currently? I have a small amount 1031 exchange money that I need to put to work and I'm considering going the short term rental route to potentially be able to enjoy it/ use it in the future.  

Any help is appreciated 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

I'm in a small town with a big refinery. This is where my STR's are. My tenants are either rednecks, ruffians, Mexicans or a combination of all 3.

Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff :
Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

I'm in a small town with a big refinery. This is where my STR's are. My tenants are either rednecks, ruffians, Mexicans or a combination of all 3.

Is there a 'redneck Mexican'....? :-)

Yes, they put a lift kit on both axles of their truck.

There is another breed of people that just put a lift kit on the front axle and do nothing with the back.  I'm not sure what to call them.  Currently renting to some of these people.  I ask them when they can afford to put a lift kit on the back.

@Cassidy Burns the NC coast (Wilmington, Kure Beach and the OBX), Lake Norman (30 mins from Charlotte NC).

Just picked one up in Southend. One of hottest neighborhoods in Charlotte. Most stays are business related and are for 30+days which is also kind of nice. Good luck!

Hi Cassidy,

I specialize in STR properties in the Poconos, PA, recently voted the number 1 spot to invest in STR properties. Prices are inflated all over the US, but I can guide you to the best areas in the Poconos. Contact me if you're interested.

Thanks, Tim

@Cassidy Burns

Second homes are popular along the Florida Panhandle.

We have a current lender with a pretty awesome 2nd home loan product. 89.99% LTV with no MI up to $3,000,000 loan amount. Sure there are other qualifications, but on the whole, great product.

We also have an awesome DSCR product for investors.