Alabama and Tax Deeds

Alabama and Tax Deeds

Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes

I purchased a tax deed from that state. From my understanding of the deed, the land is now my property. I had it recorded and assessed. now on the county website, it shows changed owner and list me as the new owner for the next tax year. I assumed that it also meant I have a right to sell it. Now I am being told I can only sell for tax interest because it is not a clear title. How do I clear the title? 

3Reply
258 views

Most Popular Reply

JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Brandon Watson, At one time everyone thought you had to possess the property for three years after your tax deed before you could file a quiet title a lawsuit. Based on some intensive research I've done into the technicalities of quieting title, I think the "well understood rule" described above is just an urban legend that's been repeated so often, everybody takes it for granted.  I think that if you do  not have any unknown parties in the chain of title from assessed owner to your tax deed, and if you can find them and get service on them, and if you are in exclusive and undisputed possession of the property, you can file your quiet title lawsuit immediately.  Also, EVERY single tax sale appellate decision I've read that requires 3 years of possession after the tax deed date was a void tax sale. The law is clear in that regard, that if the tax sale is void, it takes 3 years of adverse possession to clear up the title.  I do not think the same rule applies if the tax sale is valid.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Henson Uggghh that sucks! What did you end up doing with the deeds?

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ebony King:

    @David Henson Uggghh that sucks! What did you end up doing with the deeds?

     Still holding them.  I've now had them for 18 months, so another 18 months to go, I guess.

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Henson Can I pm you?

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @Denise Evans Hi, are you still an attorney?

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I'm retired.  I can refer you to someone, though.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @Denise Evans please that would be great!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Denise Evans Hi Denise. I love your responses. They are very helpful. Can you refer me to an active attorney in AL who is familiar with AL Tax Sales?

    I'm in the process of purchasing a AL tax deed to a residential property (Jefferson County) that is past the 3yr mark. I'm hoping to find an attorney that can perform a QTA in rem immediately once I receive the tax deed.

    Thanks,

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Vance H., I also received your email. I sent you the list.

  • Investor · Jacksonville Beach · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Denise Evans Hello Denise,

    Your posts have been very helpful. I am in the preliminary stages of finding and buying tax deed properties in southern Alabama. Could you refer some attorneys in or near the southern counties who are familiar with tax deeds and note investing? 
    Thanks,

    Philip Augustin 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    @Denise Evans I am also looking for some attorneys who would help me quiet the title on a property I purchased directly from the state as a tax deed, but haven't held yet for 3 years. Would you be able to give me some referrals? Thanks!

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Joshua Tucker, if you will email me, I'll send you the current list of attorneys knowledgeable in Alabama tax sales law. 

  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Denise Evans:

    @Joshua Tucker, if you will email me, I'll send you the current list of attorneys knowledgeable in Alabama tax sales law. 

     @Denise Evans can i please get one as well. i sent a PM

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Just sent it, @Johanna Lopez

  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Denise Evans thank you!! You're always so helpful!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Denise Evans This thread has been enlightening. Thanks so much for your knowledge. I myself would like to buy a couple tax deed from Alabama and Would like to list of knowledgeable attorney there.

    PM sent!

    Thanks in advance.

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Connect with me and send a pm and I'll send you the list

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.