Votes
Wilson Lee
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Contractor has vanished

Wilson Lee
  • Birmingham, AL
Posted Jun 29 2018, 06:20

I have worked with the same local contractor for the last 3 renovation projects.  I like his work.  But as of last week he dropped off the face of the earth.  I don't want to get rid of him, He is cheap with low overhead cost. Also, He fixes minor issues that come up with out demanding additional fees. (like staying to oversee the septic service when I was out of town)

Now, we are 2/3rds done on the current renovation.  There is 9K worth of work left on the job.  But as of 7 days ago his number started going to voice mail. I even tried calling form a friends number.  Emails are not replied too.  I mailed off a concern letter yesterday.  I have stopped by the job site a few times and left a note.  But I can't reach him and I don't know if he is OK.

I need to get this project done.  I am paying a sizable interest payment and not earning rent.  What are my options?  My contract has no terms for work stoppage or abandonment.  I still have the $9,000 needed to finish the job.  Should I open a complaint with the state licensing board?  Fire him and change the locks? Give him time?  I don't want to end up with a lien against the property. But I can't let this project slip behind schedule . 

Loading replies...