Younger real estate investors in Phoenix

9 Replies

Hey BP, I've been checking out this site for a while now and Ive gained a lot of good insight from it. I'm in real estate and general contracting through my family business, and lately i've been branching out on my own a little bit. 

I also just graduated from B-School at ASU, and I'm quickly learning there aren't a ton of early-mid 20' people who are in this business. I know it's obviously difficult to have the funds to buy real estate at such a young age, and that probably a large part of it. Are there any younger guy likes like me out here in Phoenix who are RE investors who want to network? If anyone has any groups they're a part of or anything that I could be a part of I'd appreciate the recommendations. Also any more experienced investors out there who have any advice for a 22 year old like me on how to continue to build a solid foundation for the future in the business I'd love to hear it.

@Ciro Affronti  Congrats on graduating and being one of the smarter young entrepreneurs in phoenix. You'll be thankful you stated young. I'm 30 so I'm a little bit ahead of you but I bought my first home at 22. I haven't done everything perfect and have made mistakes but I would much rather learn from those lessons early and grow. 

Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses... be brutally honest with yourself.

Get on every wholesalers list you can.

Get plugged in to your local real estate investment club. You are in luck AZREIA is the best REIA in the USA... I humbly submit that I run the 2nd best LIMGclub.com

Read Bigger Pockets till your eyes bleed, Try to figure out what ONE or TWO methods of investment will work best based on your strengths. DONT try to do everything.

Set up some interviews with some "turn key" providers of real estate.

Call every "we buy houses" bandit sign you see and ask "what are you doing? what properties are you buying? what parts of town are you buying in? what do you think of the local market?"

Walk 100 houses in your area ASAP... not 50 not 95... walk 100 houses.

Hi, I am in a similar situation as you. Fell into this buisness from birth and thankful for it. I am 23 and saving to buy my first property right now. I think a lot of people out age are not able to see the long term affects of the work you put in now. They think this is there time to party and have fun. So it's gives people like us a huge advantage who will be years ahead of others. Sounds like you will be successful simply because you are willing to have an open mind and learn. If you are ever in Southern California maybe we can meet! Hard to find likeminded people our age! I feel your pain! Best of luck to you!

@Ciro Affronti I'm 25, graduated from Engineering at Cal Poly (SLO). Been interested in REI for the longest time, now finally getting my finances together to begin making big moves. I'm exiting from a previous investment (non-REI) which will serve as capital for this venture.

Shoot me a PM, ill send you the meetings which I attend!

@Jenna Stark  I have lots of friends in HB and Newps. Are you investing out there?

@Jared Vidales  oh I love Newport too, most of the investing is slightly inland of the beach, it's tough to invest with and get any cash flow in downtown HB. Where are you trying to invest? Sounds like you have a good game plan!

Thanks for the responses everyone, happy to see some like minded people similar to myself. Really appreciate the advice too, seems like the consensus is to just be focused on learning and saving up capital in order to make the most of future opportunities. What type of RE investing are you all interested in/ currently investing in? My family background is mostly in multi-family and mixed use commercial, but I've spent the last two years working with investors who are flipping property and I like that a lot too to potentially do a couple flips a year to get some quick burst of cash (hopefully) and then focus my major plays on long term multi family investing.

Hey @Ciro Affronti I'm in a similar boat..been working with my Dad doing flips around town. Been learning some stuff through him but ideally looking to get out on my own. Do you have your contractor license? 

@Jared Vidales my sister went to Cal Poly. Know the area very well. Those tri tips sandwiches from firestone are unreal. I'd be interested to hear about those meeting you attend. 

Originally posted by @Michael L. :

Hey @Ciro Affronti I'm in a similar boat..been working with my Dad doing flips around town. Been learning some stuff through him but ideally looking to get out on my own. Do you have your contractor license? 

@Jared Vidales my sister went to Cal Poly. Know the area very well. Those tri tips sandwiches from firestone are unreal. I'd be interested to hear about those meeting you attend. 

- Yes we do have a contractors license. You can check us out at www.affrontipropertysolutions.com to see some of the flips we've worked on. We do both, investing/flipping of our own personal projects and then we do contracting work for investors/agents/real estate professionals who flip houses or whatever they want to keep all our crews busy.

This post has been removed.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.