Investment in Prescott, Arizona

Investment in Prescott, Arizona

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes

Hi. We have the opportunity to buy four single family homes in Prescott, Arizona that are currently cash flowing. At a price of $525 for all four and $4800/mo in rent it misses the 2% rule. My parents live in Prescott, Arizona and it seems to be an area that has continued to boom, has low vacancy rates, and a bit of a shortage of rentals. I'd love to know if anyone else is looking at this area or has invested in this area and what your thoughts are on the market and 2% rule. 

-Danielle

1Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Flagstaff, AZ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 9 votes
8y

Hi Danielle, 

Just saw this post. I'm curious if you ended up purchasing those properties. I'm in Flagstaff, and just like here, Prescott has an inventory shortage. The town keeps growing but new-build is slow. It's hard to find anything that fits the 2% or even 1% rule, but at $130/each, that could be a good deal. Run the numbers, check expenses, and rent. Is there potential for value-add? 

Would love to hear more!

Gala

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Prescott, AZ · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Danielle,

    I have been passively looking into properties here in Prescott, and nothing even comes close to the 2% rule. Your opportunity seems a bit overpriced, without knowing any of the details, but I can tell you, cruising the MLS doesn't often yield homes in the 130s. I'd be interested to hear a bit more!

    James

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Your cash flow seems a bit low for the rental rate coming in.  So, either the purchase price is very high, or your expenses are high.  I would push back on this a little bit, and do some further analysis.  Without more details, it is hard to help you break it down.

    Have you ever considered Munds Park just South of Flagstaff?  There many be some gems to consider there, and the area is a growing hot spot for Phx dwellers escaping the heat for the Summer.  Plus, it is 30 minutes to NAU, so it has a growing population and economy.  Just a thought.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix Tempe Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    I would say that you are correct about Prescott having a shortage or rentals, but it also a snowbird and retiree neighborhood for Canadians, Californians, and east coasters. Your numbers are a little light and be aware of your cap ex in areas that snow. Be aware that Prescott and Prescott valley has "county islands" mixed into what look like large neighborhoods which the properties are on septic and propane. 

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Danielle, 

    Did you ever end up pursuing these Prescott properties? 

    I think I have someone who would be interested in them. 

    Message me and let's connect!

  • Flagstaff, AZ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Hi Danielle, 

    Just saw this post. I'm curious if you ended up purchasing those properties. I'm in Flagstaff, and just like here, Prescott has an inventory shortage. The town keeps growing but new-build is slow. It's hard to find anything that fits the 2% or even 1% rule, but at $130/each, that could be a good deal. Run the numbers, check expenses, and rent. Is there potential for value-add? 

    Would love to hear more!

    Gala

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.