Help with Dog problems!

2 Replies

My rental property manager leased an apartment to a lady who at the time had no pets.  She moved in her sister, who then got a puppy and a letter from a therapist saying the dog is a companion to her.  The dog has grown, and is banging around, barking, all hours of the day and night, and bothering all the other tenants.  I have told the lady about it several times, and she says she will tell her sister, and nothing changes.  The lady's lease ends July 31, 2018.  Can I give a 30-day notice and get her out earlier or do I have to give notice that she has until July 31, and then her lease will not be renewed? 

@Carole G.

If the tenant is month-2-month and your jurisdiction allows for it, you can give one month's notice.   If the tenant is on a periodic annual lease, then you will have to provide notice in compliance with local tenancy law and the terms of the lease.

@Carole G. Stick to the lease. If there's nothing in the lease regarding having pets, you can file for non-compliance in court. Send a notice in writing regarding the dog and the sister. If she does not respond, you can take it to court. Good luck!! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here