Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Arizona Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Terry
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
What am I doing wrong with this analysis?

Matthew Terry
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Posted Nov 25 2019, 10:23

I'm taking initiative to analyze deals on a consistent basis for practice and to uncover potential opportunities. I recently saw a multi-family property, 16 units B class in a decent area for $2.4M on Loopnet. Seller will only do seller financing, 30% down and 5% IR 30yr. The claimed NOI is $129,500, 5.4% CAP rate. Debt service would be around $108,000 on a $1.68M loan, which leaves $21K. That is about 2.9% return on the $720K down payment. I don't know if property management was part of the NOI calc. Assuming it is and assuming you wouldn't have to spend another penny on repairs or improvements, why would anyone use $720K for a 2.9% return and all the potential hassle and risk of running a 16 unit building? I made 7% on Fundrise this year. Selling cash to a hard money lender would get 4-5% easily. LP in syndication would generate double that. Even a dividend stock portfolio would easily return more. All these examples are completely passive. Is there just massive speculation in the Phoenix multifamily market now? Am I not considering something? Do sellers price their properties high on Loopnet for an anchor when the buyer negotiates down?

For reference: 
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/643-E-Brown-Rd-Mesa-AZ/17255707/

Loading replies...