FSBO: is two prices normal?

4 Replies

I've been communicating informally with a person who lives in my neighborhood. She's a Realtor and co-owns (with son) a rental close to one of my own. She's thinking of selling (not yet on MLS) and said she'd give me a selling price after running comps (reasonable). Her quoted price was right in line with comps and I told her I'd like to schedule a time to see property with my agent. She then said she was not going to pay any Realtor fees and would go FSBO. Said if I wanted to involve an agent she would quote a different price.

Is this a common practice? 

Updated 9 months ago

We'll call this one closed. Thanks for comments!

Sure, her price did not include paying your agent.....either she will raise her price or you pay your agent.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

Sure, her price did not include paying your agent.....either she will raise her price or you pay your agent.

Thanks!

@Susan H. , my instinct tells me that the only reason she's prepared to (theoretically) save you some money, is because on the whole, she'd still be expecting to get more out of it (from you), than if she just listed it! [I conclude: you aren't dealing with a highly motivated Seller].

ie. Is a 3-6% maximum discount (if any) really going to cut it for for you? If so, why?

I recommend instead: look for a genuinely motivated Seller, who'll give you a real discount!

Nonetheless, nothing stopping you from offering whatever you want to pay! All the best...

Originally posted by @Brent Coombs :

@Susan Holmes, my instinct tells me that the only reason she's prepared to (theoretically) save you some money, is because on the whole, she'd still be expecting to get more out of it (from you), than if she just listed it! [I conclude: you aren't dealing with a highly motivated Seller].

ie. Is a 3-6% maximum discount (if any) really going to cut it for for you? If so, why?

I recommend instead: look for a genuinely motivated Seller, who'll give you a real discount!

Nonetheless, nothing stopping you from offering whatever you want to pay! All the best...

On the lookout now for a more motivated seller. Thanks for your comments!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.