New heating systems vs forced air?

5 Replies

Hi:

I was wondering what folks experience is with the new units for heating that attach to the ceiling? Fujitsu 24000 BTU heat pump/air conditioning vs central  heat through out the house-propane.  I live in the Santa Cruz Mtns and A/c is not used much except for short periods in the summer.  The quote I rec was for 2 ceiling units, (which did not heat/ac the entire house but main bedroom and living room areas) vs the central heat that would do all of my 2 br 2 bath home.  I hear the ceiling units are very economical but the warranty is not as long 5-7 yrs as the central heat -10 yrs- but is more costly due to the cost of propane.  I am planning on turning the house over to a rental property within the next few years but currently my only heat is a wall furnace and a fireplace!  burr! Thanks kindly ! Gayle

If I had to pick between those two I would probably go with the Fujitsu units. Propane is ridiculously expensive and volatile in pricing. Is there a reason you can't use a regular heat pump instead of a propane unit? If you're going to be using all electricity for the split systems, why not go all electric for a whole house system? 

I didn't know that was an option.....but it would be nice to have A/c when needed.  I was also told that the units can be removed to other homes!  Gayle

I don't have personal experience with the ceiling units, but I am in a similar situation. All electric house in the Santa Cruz mountains, crappy wall furnace, but a good wood stove. If you only have a regular fireplace, and not an airtight wood stove, you are really missing out. 

Consider if your tenants would pay all utilities or not. In our area, we can get a better electric rate if the house is all electric. Propane delivery at our individual location is a pain too. 

If you want a warm toilet seat, you probably need central heat or a really fancy toilet...

Yes. We are in same boat.  Fireplace insert...im really tired of building fires!  Propane is outrageous.  I may go with the units, they have a/c as well and the house is only 1100 sf.  A warm toilet seat really would be nice, tho....lol

Having AC for the couple weeks you need it does sound like a nice bonus. This conversation got me searching. Apparently, true luxury is only $50 away

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M067OK/ref=psdc_5426...

The name is pretty good too. Best of luck to you in your upgrades!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here