Votes
Julie Huynh
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Newbie- tips for learning about off market listings in Bay Area

Julie Huynh
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Oct 8 2017, 19:56

It's amazing that this wonderful forum exist to exchange ideas and questions between those with experience and novices. I've already learned more than ever just reading through the forum. 

As for myself, I'm trying to get started in real estate investing with multi family properties or small apartments. My parents are getting older and they don't have retirement plans or assets so I'd like to start earning more income to attain financial independence both for myself and for them. I want to slowly divest from my corporate job and eventually move to real estate full time within 3-5 years and be in control of my own schedule and working hard for myself. 

As a beginner I think starting with an owner occupied 2-4 unit multi family property is a low risk approach where I'll also learn about managing tenants first hand. I'm in the Bay Area though where prices for multi family properties are high, including on loopnet. There are also few listings. But as a beginner it seems smart to have an investment that's close by in case anything happens. 

My question is where should I begin looking for off-market leads? I'm mid career so have some savings for a down payment, so should I even bother going the HFA route, I'm unsure where to find the AMI for local markets. 

Thanks again for this amazing site! I'm humbled by the experience on here!

Loading replies...