Calling Landlords in LA - Any restrictions to be aware of?

Calling Landlords in LA - Any restrictions to be aware of?

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm currently reading the ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken Mcelroy and he presents the strategy of calling landlords about selling. Before I do that, I was wondering if anyone knew of any general laws or restrictions which prevent this? I am aware there is a do-not-call list, but I'm not sure if this would apply, or how to even check if a number is on this do-not-call list.

I am located in Los Angeles if that brings more clarity.

Thanks!

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
8y

Tony.

I wouldn't worry about that.

Get your list wherever you can and start calling. 

If someone asks to be taken off of your list then take them off and move on!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y

    Tony.

    I wouldn't worry about that.

    Get your list wherever you can and start calling. 

    If someone asks to be taken off of your list then take them off and move on!

  • Escrow Officer · Temecula, Ca. · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 152 votes
    8y

    I don't know about your specific question, but something to be aware of is rent control in LA. May not be as simple (or as cheap) as you think to get the tenant out, so keep that in mind when negotiating. The city requires an escrow for the tenant relocation part, which I handle all the time. :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    To echo Shannon's point, rent control is rough and the City is working on making more rent control changes.  What I have had some investors I know do is buy condos build after 1979.  Low cost to buy and currently no rent control.

    Good luck!

  • Nathan DionesPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Redlands, CA · Member since 2011 · 127 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    This should explain the challenges forthcoming....

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/topics/596656

    We represent many landlords within the City and County of LA, and all of Southern California for that matter, if this passes I know 90% of our clients are going to sell and move their equity to a more favorable city or state including myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.