Question about un-permitted rooms in Alameda county

2 Replies

Hi all, quick question-

A home in Alameda county has an un-permitted room that was built in 2004. If the house were to go through a transaction would the new buyers have to pay in order to get the room permitted? Also, does anyone know how to calculate the costs of something such as this? Thanks. 

Originally posted by @Armando Castillo :

Hi all, quick question-

A home in Alameda county has an un-permitted room that was built in 2004. If the house were to go through a transaction would the new buyers have to pay in order to get the room permitted? Also, does anyone know how to calculate the costs of something such as this? Thanks. 

It's actually fairly rare to find any additions in the east bay area that WERE permitted. I obviously can't guarantee what local gov't will or will not do, but code enforcement is pretty lax in our area. 

Each state has a Statute of Limitations where your local municipality can take legal action against you for the un-permitted work and have you correct it according to your state's building code. I would check your state laws to see what that time length is, but i can't imagine that it is 14-15 years.