Should I add a second meter?

3 Replies

Hey guys, I'm going to rent out my 2 story house after the holidays. Downstairs to a small family and upstairs to a single mother/father. Both will have separate entrances and separate yard space. Would it be wise to add a separate meter to the upstairs unit? Does anyone know the California laws regarding this? Would I have to do this? Or build the estimated utilities into the rent? It's not technically a ADU since it's attached to the house.

@Nic Hill

I recently finished an ADU left my water and gas common, but separated my electric. The only read I did separated the electric is because it was convenient. Not because I had to.

What your describing sounds like an attached second unit which could be an ADU if its on an R-1 property.

Originally posted by @Matthew Forrest :

@Nic Hill

I recently finished an ADU left my water and gas common, but separated my electric. The only read I did separated the electric is because it was convenient. Not because I had to.

What your describing sounds like an attached second unit which could be an ADU if its on an R-1 property.

How do you split the water & gas bill between the 2 tenants if it is common. 

@Gaurav Mehta

I notified the tenants that they are on a shared meter and will be back billed for a percentage of the usage. I also notified them that I would go by a percentage of the headcount on the property. This information is in the lease. One person in Unit A and three people in Unit b would be 25/75.