San Diego Sewer and Garbage Costs When Analyzing a Deal

6 Replies

Hey San Diego investors,

When analyzing your deals for purchasing rental properties or properties to house hack, what are the norms for sewer and garbage costs that an owner should expect to pay? Are these statistics published anywhere? Do they vary by town? By property type? By neighborhood? Etc...

Any tips would be appreciated - just trying to find some more direction to get accurate numbers in my analyses.

Thanks,

Trev

If you can possibly get through their hold line, the water dept will share the specific info for the property you're looking at. But on average in a City of San Diego multifamily, urban situation I would calculate $400/billing cycle ($200/month). If it's less, great. That's present day - may be different next year since they just rolled out the new rates last month. 

Trash is covered by the city (which is actually really rare) and water as mentioned would be roughly $400 per cycle for multi unit, about $300 for SFH (commercial rates - 2 or more units - are outrageous) 

Originally posted by @Bob Johnson :
Trash is covered by the city (which is actually really rare) and water as mentioned would be roughly $400 per cycle for multi unit, about $300 for SFH (commercial rates - 2 or more units - are outrageous) 

Any experience or numbers for condos out of curiosity? Or this is almost always covered by the HOA?

Condos a complete wildcard - water and/or trash can be included in fees, or billed independently. Larger complexes are on the hook for trash, so be forewarned there...

Trash varies depending on location. For my units (both SFR and MF) in San Diego, the trash is included in the taxes. For my SFR in Poway, the trash is a separate bill from the water. For my multifamily RE in Escondido, the trash is included with the water bill.

The water also has significant variation based on location but the $200/month per unit is a fairly safe number (meaning it will typically be less but not always).  My Poway water is very expensive (well over $600 for 2 summer months).

Get the most accurate number direct from the utility company.

Good luck