Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Allen Tracy
  • Chatsworth, CA
Votes |
California CPA Recommendation

Allen Tracy
  • Chatsworth, CA
Posted Dec 30 2020, 10:32

Does anyone have a tax person they'd recommend? I live in California and have properties in Columbus, OH.  I'm open to CPAs all over the states but I've heard it might be better to get someone in California because of our specialized tax laws.  I've used the same tax guy for over 20 years only because he does the taxes for my parents and their business. He's a few hours away from me so I'm used to working remotely with a CPA. He doesn't give me the attention I require and sometimes doesn't even return my e-mails. I'm ready to move on and find someone who can help me grow my RE portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Tracy
  • Chatsworth, CA
Votes |
  • Chatsworth, CA
Replied Feb 12 2023, 09:31

I've been really happy with mine, she's based out of San Diego but has helped me with my out of state properties.

User Stats

Votes
David Bilandzija
  • Lender
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Venice, CA
Replied Feb 12 2023, 09:32
Quote from @Allen Tracy:

Does anyone have a tax person they'd recommend? I live in California and have properties in Columbus, OH.  I'm open to CPAs all over the states but I've heard it might be better to get someone in California because of our specialized tax laws.  I've used the same tax guy for over 20 years only because he does the taxes for my parents and their business. He's a few hours away from me so I'm used to working remotely with a CPA. He doesn't give me the attention I require and sometimes doesn't even return my e-mails. I'm ready to move on and find someone who can help me grow my RE portfolio.

@Allen Tracy  Try Chris Alexander.  He's in Woodland Hills.  My situation included investment property in Arizona.  He's easy to reach, knowledgeable and just down the road from you in Woodland HIlls off Ventura.  Good luck.   

http://alexanderhansoninc.com/

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 14 2023, 00:42

@Allen Tracy would you mind sharing your CPA information with me? I just purchased two rental properties in OH last year. I used to do my own taxes, but I think it’s time to bring in a professional.0

User Stats

Votes
Allen Tracy
  • Chatsworth, CA
Votes |
  • Chatsworth, CA
Replied Feb 14 2023, 08:54
Quote from @Troy Nichols:

@Allen Tracy would you mind sharing your CPA information with me? I just purchased two rental properties in OH last year. I used to do my own taxes, but I think it’s time to bring in a professional.0

Message sent

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 21 2023, 17:01

@Allen Tracy @Mark Frattini would you guys mind sharing your CPAs contacts with me? 

Or anyone else who can recommend a good CPA with short term rental loopholes knowledge in California! 

Thanks you!

User Stats

Votes
Katie Balatbat
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Votes |
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Replied Feb 22 2023, 11:31

@Alexey Klimkov

I have referrals in San Diego - not sure where you're located.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 11 2023, 13:31

@Peter Mckernan @Mark Frattini could you please also forward me the contact information for your CPAs? Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Strauss
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Mar 17 2023, 23:33
Quote from @Mark Frattini:
I've referred my CPA to several others on BP. Happy to connect and share their contact info.

Hey Mark please PM your CPA looking for one to file my taxes have a great bookkeeper so filing should be easy.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Strauss
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Mar 17 2023, 23:36
Quote from @Allen Tracy:

I've been really happy with mine, she's based out of San Diego but has helped me with my out of state properties.

@Allen Tracy Please do share your CPA I also have a property in AZ as well. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Linda Weygant
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Mar 18 2023, 08:15

BiggerPockets now has a CPA referral page:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 11 2023, 12:45

@Allen Tracy @Mark Frattini would you guys mind sharing your CPAs contacts with me?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 17 2023, 17:31
Quote from @Mark Frattini:
I've referred my CPA to several others on BP. Happy to connect and share their contact info.

Hi Mark,

Would you please pm your CPA's contact information? I'm looking for a CPA that's well-versed in short term rentals. Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 2 2023, 08:49

@Veronica Haniger

Good morning. Did you find a CPA, tax strategist in the bay area?

We are looking for one as well. I have STR and a LTR in the valley but want to smartly plan our next investments.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 9 2023, 17:08

@Mark Frattini and @Peter Mckernan would you mind sharing your CPAs information with me? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 1 2023, 14:53

@Katie Balatbat would you mind sharing CPA's and/or attorneys that specialize in STRs? I'm in Orange County, but not against working with anyone outside the curtain.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron L.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Santa Monica
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Santa Monica
Replied Oct 11 2023, 21:01

@Mark Frattini Hi! Doing some research as we are looking to switch to a CPA who is better versed in real estate. Would appreciate your recommendation as well. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 22 2023, 15:35

@Peter Mckernan @Mark Frattini@Allen Tracy @Katie L. also looking for a RE-savvy CPA in California who can work with me to execute the STR strategy to offset W2 income with losses from a cost seg study I'm conducting. Would one of you mind sharing a rec? My CPA had no clue what I was talking about when I tried to explain the stategy to him, which does not instill confidence. Many of the tax planning service companies referenced herein want charge $5000-7000 for tax planning services which seems exorbitant for someone like me who is a single W2 earner with a pretty simple tax return. I understand these services may be beneficial for higher net worth folks with multiple properties, businesses, etc but I just need someone who understands the STR "loophole" to execute on one property. Any recs out there? Thanks in advance!!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied Oct 23 2023, 09:15

Over 75% of returns that I review from new clients have errors or missed opportunities that could cost them thousands over the years. While 5-7k is a fair for that expertise at times, I offer tax packages that many investors with 1-5 properties love and can afford. In my opinion, anything under a $1,000 though and the preparer is either rushing or not in high demand for their knowledge. 

Any post made by The CPA Realtor - Nate Meeker is informational only and does not create a client relationship. Readers are advised to engage a licensed professional who knows their situation before relying on their opinion.

DRE# 02213689 CPA# 144976

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 24 2023, 07:19

@Nate Meeker absolutely agree a good CPA is worth the $$, and was expecting to spend well over 1000 for such services (I spent 1500 last year only to catch a lot of my CPA's mistakes); just sent you a DM, thx

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 26 2023, 16:23

@Allen Tracy @Mark Frattini would you also mind PM'ing me your CPA recommendations? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
  • CPA | California
Votes |
  • CPA | California
Replied Nov 26 2023, 21:50

@Allen Tracy @Mark Frattini Yes, thank you! Appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Iris Dichupa
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Dec 6 2023, 07:22
Quote from @Allen Tracy:

Hi Allen
Could you kindly send over their contact info? Thanks!
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 21 2024, 08:33

@Mark Frattini would you mind sending my your San Diego CPA referral as well. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
  • CPA | California
Votes |
  • CPA | California
Replied Aug 21 2024, 13:36

Thanks Mark!

User Stats

Votes
Fulton Sanchez
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Replied Aug 23 2024, 06:58

Hi Allen. You've come to the right place, there are over 20 enlisted CPAs here in Biggerpockets working with real estate investors across different states. Feel free to reach out to one and set up a consultation call.